Putting Fondant On An Odd Shape

Decorating By cakefort Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm by cakefort

cakefort  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 8

What's the trick? How do you put fondant on a cake other than square or round? I tried my hand at a purse cake (just for fun) and I realized that I had no idea how to drape the fondant once it started to bunch at the bottom of the sides.

7 replies
 Malakin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 8

I watched them on one of the cake shows do a purse and where the fondant met at the sides of the purse, they bunched it together and then trimmed it off to make a seam which they then smoothed together and put something to hide the seam. I did the Mickey Mouse head and ears in my photos which I rolled the fondant a little thicker than usual, greased my hands good with shortening and then kept pulling, pushing and molding it to fit the ball shape.

cakefort Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:29am
post #3 of 8

Thanks. I'll try your trick next time. This batch of fondant wasn't very forgiving anyway. I added cocoa powder and a bunch of red color which seemed to make it very susceptible to cracking.

ski  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 8

I often add some choco-pan into my fondant to give it more elasticity; 1-3 ratio. Also, you can cut your sides of odd shapes, and panel them together, then use a smoother or some shortening to "seam" them.

cakefort Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 8

Will they seam virually flawlessly?

cakefort Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 8

Will they seam virually flawlessly?

ski  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 8

you obviously have to work at it , but yes they will