Sweetened Or Unsweetened Chocolate For Choc Mmf?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 11:56am by Loucinda

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 6

I am planning to make some chocolate MMF using 1 oz melted chocolate, and 1 TBSP cocoa powder.

Do the chocolate and cocoa powder need to be sweetened or unsweetened? I bought semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate, and sweetened Ghirardelli cocoa powder but now I'm wondering if that was ok. In the store, I figured there's a bucket-load of sugar in MMF anyways, and that an extra little bit probably wouldn't do anything to the flavor.

What's the consensus?

TIA!

ETA: Would it make a difference if I doubled the chocolate and cocoa powder. I was thinking to double those quantities so that I can achieve a nice, rich chocolate color.

5 replies
punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 6

When I make my Chocolate MMF I use Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa. It is unsweetened and my MMF turns out plenty sweet enough. I'm thinking that if you use the sweetened cocoa it will be ok, just sweeter but I'm not sure.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 6

How much cocoa do you use for a typical batch of MMF? I need to make some in November for a golf bag.

thanx!

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 6

For 1 recipe of MMF I used about 1/4 c. Hersheys Special Dark Cocoa. I made black MMF with this and did not have to add very much black coloring paste to it to make it black. I added the cocoa to the melted marshmallows.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #5 of 6

Thank you SO much! I will need to make some of it black for the piping trim on the golf bag so thanx for the tip Punkyf

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:56am
post #6 of 6

If you are just using 1 Tablespoon of each chocolate - it isn't going to be very chocolate. I just use the Hersheys special dark chocolate cocoa powder - replace part of the powdered sugar with the cocoa. Works out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%