Buttercream Only Topsy Turvy

Decorating By travmand Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm by tonedna

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 8

Would really like to see some photos of a topsy turvy cake done in only buttercream. Any suggestions? I've not only had such bad luck with fondant....but I really don't like the taste. I'm making a topsy turvy for a benefit in a couple weeks and I'd like to frost it in all chocolate butterceam. Should I be thinking of something else?

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 8

If I were you, and this was going to raise money (therefore look as good as you can possibly do it)....stick with fondant. Topsy turvy=mandatory fondant in my book. Unless you are a buttercream God with experience doing a topsy turvy. Which I'm not. And I've not come across many others that can pull it off either.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 8

Im sorry jamie..In not a disrespectful way..i have to disagree with you. icon_redface.gif
Check all my topsy turvys, the majority are done in buttercream.
http://designmeacake.com/tturv.html

Edna

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 8

My first two topsy turvys were in fondant and no problems...great cakes, held up, etc...My last one...sigh....done just last Saturday...was buttercream...A WASC with key lime cheesecake filling...The entire bottome layer collapsed on the way to the party...Humiliating...This was for a verrrrryyy wealthy couple and I was soo embarrassed...Anyway...It's almost like the fondant holds everything together like a girdle (hee! hee!)...

tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 8

Strong cake is the key for the lower tiers, and stronger fillings or less fillings.
Edna icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 8

Yep, I stick with my comment. icon_smile.gif Naturally, dear Edna, you would be considered highly experienced in that arena, and one of the BC God's. Someone like me, never having done it in BC before would really have to try it a few times and definitely not practice it on a cake for a benefit.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 8

How about modeling chocolate instead of fondant?
http://www.joyofbaking.com/ModelingChoc.html

Or perhaps Choco-pan?
http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=920&s=&name=Choco-Pan%20Rolled%20Icing

Gorgeous BC TTs Edna!

tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Yep, I stick with my comment. icon_smile.gif Naturally, dear Edna, you would be considered highly experienced in that arena, and one of the BC God's. Someone like me, never having done it in BC before would really have to try it a few times and definitely not practice it on a cake for a benefit.

I know is scary...but it aint that bad. I do love working the buttercream.
Fondant is beautiful but buttercream can be beautiful too.
Look at this.. TT..buttercream, swags!...all big no no's!..But then with good consistency of buttercream( I use crusting buttercream) It can be done.
It might fall down once, but that's what practice is for!.. icon_lol.gif
Edna thumbs_up.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%