Royal Icing For Cookies

Decorating By crimsonhair Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 5:57am by crimsonhair

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 1:45am
post #1 of 13

I made a batch of royal icing with the meringue powder and made way too much . I finished decorating my cookies and would like to save the icing.. Does anyone know if I can freeze it or should I just keep it in the fridge and how long would it keep in the fridge?

12 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:08am
post #2 of 13

Well, I wouldn't freeze it but some folks do refrigerate it and then bring it back to room temperature and re-whip. I must admit I don't do this as I find that it works best when fresh. Make sure you put it in an airtight container, we use to also put a dampened paper towel over it, under the lid but I don't think people bother with that anymore.
It stores for about 1 month in the fridge. I take it you are talking about Royal made from meringue powder not egg whites. If the egg whites are not pasteurized, it shouldn't be kept in the fridge more than 2-3 days.
Hugs Squirrelly

crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:14am
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much SquirrellyCakes I appreciate your quick reply. I made it with the meringue powder so I will try to keep it in the fridge tonight and make some more cookies tomorrow.. Not a big deal if it isn't usable but good to know for next time. I have just started making these cookies recently so wasn't really sure if I could keep the icing or not. I love this site so much , think I'm addicted already..LOL. Thanks again for your help.
Liz

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:39am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonhair

Thanks so much SquirrellyCakes I appreciate your quick reply. I made it with the meringue powder so I will try to keep it in the fridge tonight and make some more cookies tomorrow.. Not a big deal if it isn't usable but good to know for next time. I have just started making these cookies recently so wasn't really sure if I could keep the icing or not. I love this site so much , think I'm addicted already..LOL. Thanks again for your help.
Liz

Well actually if it isn't too warm where you are, you don't need to refrigerate it for that short of a time, just make sure it is really well sealed and it will be fine for a day or two at room temperature. There is really nothing to go bad, it is more a question of it drying out if left out too long. You will be fine.
Hugs Squirrelly

crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:53am
post #5 of 13

Thanks SquirrellyCakes I will just leave it on the counter. It is pretty cool up here in the north so it should be fine. I will make more cookies in the morning if I can ever get off here and get to bed..

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:11am
post #6 of 13

Haha, I know what you mean! How far north are you kiddo?
Love your avatar, I am rather partial to putties!
Hugs Squirrelly

crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:15am
post #7 of 13

Hi again Squirrely Cakes..as you can see I am still not in bed..LOL
I had a hard time trying to find an avatar and getting one to show up. We have two cats , Mambo and Zeke..I am way up in Northern Ontario Canada.. near Timmins. Where are you?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:24am
post #8 of 13

Oh heck, some of my most favourite folks are in Northern Ontario kiddo, small world. I am now back in Ottawa after 23 years away. I have lived in Sudbury, then outside Sudbury in Hanmer, then Timmins ( well actually Porcupine) from 79-81, then Sault Ste. Marie and then Ajax and then back to my hometown. But I love Northern Ontario, best folks around!
Haha, I asked because often people will say north, but they don't mean quite as far north as I am thinking, haha! When we lived in Ajax, people thought Barrie was as far north as you could go!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:26am
post #9 of 13

Heehee, got so excited that you were from the north, that I forgot to say, your cat names are really different, I like them. I have two cats too, but they are getting old. Nothing quite like a cat, except maybe a squirrel, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:36am
post #10 of 13

I grew up in South Porcupine.. Well Dome Mine property actually. I've lived in the north all my life.. I am finding that the winters are colder and colder as I get older..but we spent a few months in Florida last winter so that was a nice break..My daughter lives in Barrie.. It sure is a small world huh.. We had 4 cats but had to have two of our older ones put down last yr.. It was hard to lose them, Moses and Willie.. Mambo is only 7 and Zeke it 8 , still both pretty young and full of energy.

crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:39am
post #11 of 13

I forgot to mention that my hubby is from Sudbury

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:50am
post #12 of 13

Oh geesh, we used to shop in South Porcupine all of the time - there wa a really good children's shop there. What I remember most, was the first June we lived there, it snowed on my oldest's birthday, then the black flies came, haha! My youngest was allergic to the black flies, I don't think I have ever seen so many in my life. Absolutely the best wild blueberries anywhere too! But the winters, though a dry cold, were awfully cold! The air was so dry, I would cough the whole time I was outside. Haha, I also remember that when you owned a house, you didn't own the mineral rights to it and sometimes when we were in the basement, you could actually feel drilling going on underneath you, that was weird, haha! I also remember the moose coming into the backyard.
Hubby just came back from Kirkland Lake and was commenting on how cool it was. Strange year this one!
My cats are 15 and 16, so they are getting old. The oldest still acts like a young kitten though.
Anyway, nice to see a northerner!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:57am
post #13 of 13

I remember the kids shop in South Porcupine but can't recall the name of it.. I remember I bought a dress there for my daughter to wear to a wedding . We had a bear in our backyard last week.. Speaking of blueberries we were in Sudbury a few weeks ago and went picking some , we were a little late in the season this yr.. it has been such a hot summer that they were early this yr.. Well I am off to bed.. Was great chatting with you.. Thanks again for the royal icing help.. Nite

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%