My Buttercream Will Not Crust, Ever, No Matter What I Do!

Decorating By tarascupcakes Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm by tarascupcakes

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My 20-qt mixer has 3 speeds: Slow, faster, and "beat the hell out of it". I tend to use all three speeds at some stage in the making-icing process. And it's on "beat the hell out of it" during the "pulverize the fat" stage.

OMG...I was cracking up at this!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #62 of 67

Are you certain your powder sugar is pure cane?? I think you said it is from Sam's club-just wondering if it is specified as pure cane.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

Are you certain your powder sugar is pure cane?? I think you said it is from Sam's club-just wondering if it is specified as pure cane.

that's what I use.

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #64 of 67

OMGoodness! I'm so happy! It crusted. I made my batch of icing for this weekend's orders and it worked. I did exactly what we decided was most likely the problem. I beat the H, E double L out of the shortening and it worked. I also bought a store brand (Lowe's Foods) vegetable shortening, which may have something to do with it. It's so fluffy! When I was making it before, it was so much more dense. The best part is it crusts (not real hard though, but that's good)! I don't like that residue it leaves though in your mouth. I didn't use Indydebis recipe because I didn't have any dream whip and money is extremely tight right now, so I just went by my old recipe. Anyway, I just to share my success! Thanks to all! CC members ROCK!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #65 of 67

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! party.gif

sleepy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy33 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #66 of 67

Yay x2!! So glad the mystery is finally solved! Just for in the future, what you were saying about the residue in your mouth; if you are ever able to get some hi ratio shortening to try, I think you will find the residue won't be there. But, since I know it can be hard to come by and costly, you also might try different store brands of shortening. I notice a big difference in the tastes/residues among different brands. Otherwise, woo hoo! I looked at some pics of your cake pics the other day, they are gorgeous. icon_smile.gif

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy33

Yay x2!! So glad the mystery is finally solved! Just for in the future, what you were saying about the residue in your mouth; if you are ever able to get some hi ratio shortening to try, I think you will find the residue won't be there. But, since I know it can be hard to come by and costly, you also might try different store brands of shortening. I notice a big difference in the tastes/residues among different brands. Otherwise, woo hoo! I looked at some pics of your cake pics the other day, they are gorgeous. icon_smile.gif

Oh, ok, that's what I'll have to try when I get a chance and some $. Thanks for the compliment! I'm trying! Got many weddings and anniversaries and baby showers coming up and I don't want to be worrying about my icing!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%