Diamond Ring Help

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm by DianeLM

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, i just tried out my large 3d diamond chocolate mould for the first time. wanted to make the cake attached for an engagement order i have but the diamond is so heavy theres no way it will stay up! i also have a wedding cake to do from thecakegirls.com with all the huge diamond rings on it but i haven a clue how to get them to stand up.

please help, i cant see any way of doing this !! what could i make the actual ring band from so that it would withhold this weight?
LL

8 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 9

I think styrofoam would hold it up. I would buy a cake dummy and use that to get the shape I want.
Otherwise I would be tempted to go to a local DIY store that sells wood and see if you can buy something there in the shape you want

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 9

Is the diamond a solid piece of chocolate after it's molded? If it is, you could use the chocolate, and paint it on in a very thin layer in your mold so that you end up with a hollow diamond instead. I think that would be much lighter.

If your diamond is already hollow, then please disregard my post. icon_redface.gif

Beautiful cake idea!

Cathy26 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 9

no i was stupid enough to do a solid one - and man it was heavy. actually thinking of making them with styrofoam in the middle which would make them lighter, hopefully this will work icon_smile.gif

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

Is the diamond a solid piece of chocolate after it's molded? If it is, you could use the chocolate, and paint it on in a very thin layer in your mold so that you end up with a hollow diamond instead. I think that would be much lighter.

If your diamond is already hollow, then please disregard my post. icon_redface.gif

Beautiful cake idea!

I agree. I don't know how your mold works but you could press fondant inside of it and let that dry up really well (several days).
I love this cake!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 9

I love the idea of making the diamond out of chocolate!

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 9

Me too!!! A chocolate diamond - two of a woman's favorite things!

Cathy26 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 9

i couldnt make this work at all - ended up making a 2d ring (in my pics) from gumpaste and setting it on the box - this will work for the wedding cake i have too as when i looked at the cake girls version i noticed that they were flat agains the cake so that wil work for me, pity about the chocolate mould - was just too big and too hard to work with icon_sad.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

For future, here's how to make a hollow mold...

Fill the mold all the way to the top.

Refrigerate anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. It all depends on how hot your chocolate was when you filled the mold.

Test the mold by giving it a jiggle. You should be able to detect an approximately 1/8" edge where the chocolate has set up and doesn't jiggle. (If the entire top of the chocolate has set, break the surface with a toothpick or other tool to reveal the jiggly chocolate beneath.)

When at least 1/8" has set, remove the mold from the frig and turn it upside down over a bowl to allow the excess chocolate to run out.

Check the level of chocolate left in the mold periodically until you're satisfied that enough has been poured out.

Use a spatula to scrape off any chocolate that has accumulated on the top of the mold from pouring.

Place the mold back in the frig until totally set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%