What Is Lustre Spray?

Decorating By JenniferL Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm by JenniferL

JenniferL Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 6

I've been out of the cake decorating loop for a while and was just ordering supplies when I noticed something I hadn't seen before- lustre spray.

Does it just give your cake a sheen or is it intended for coloring the cake? I would love to give my cakes that sparkly look without investing in airbrushing equipment.

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 6

Lustre spray is from a company in the UK called PME.It comes in Pearl,Gold,Silver and Bronze.It smells divine also..Like cotton candy..However it is pricey..about $10.00 a small can.Globalsugarart sells it and other online stores as well.The pearl gives a wonderful sheen..The other colors are matt not translucent.

JenniferL Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply! icon_smile.gif Does it last very long? Is there something else that would give it a sheen, but be more economical?

tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 6

If you have an airbrush they sell some for airbrush machines. They are more economical only if you own the airbrush.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 6

It's lasts a while but an airbrush is more economical.I have a Kopykake Airmaster and I use the Americolor sheens all the time and you can buy them in big bottles.I peral spray nearly every cake so I use mine all the time.It sure is nice..I sprayed gold on a red Dragon this week..Really cool!!

JenniferL Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all of the replies. I only make a few cakes a year as gifts to family and friends. I'm hoping to start covering the cakes in fondant because I don't like the way my bc looks. Maybe if I start doing more cakes, I'll invest in the airbrushing system. I bet it's a lot of fun to use and I love the effect that it gives to cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%