Another Dummy Cake Done!

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 6

Had a weekend where i had no cakes to do so I made a wedding cake. I love daisys and wanted to make a cake.

My dummys have a few dents so the fondant isnt completely smooth.

Look in my photos and tell me how I could of made the cake better. I am always trying to make them better.

5 replies
d3sc3n7 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 6

keep in mind I am FAR from an expert here...but how do you smooth out of fondant?

For example, here is what I do.

Say you have a 8in round....cut your 8in board for the cake and place it on the 6in pan...then drape your fondant over. No you can smooth it all the way down and cut it off at the exact right spot. Helps me out alot.

mindy1204 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 6

So you use the 6 inch pan to lift the cake a little? I have to work on the smoothing a little what i have problems with is cutting it at the bottom. I use a pizza roller and I seem to cut it to short so in this case you see the styrofoam

d3sc3n7 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

Yup, I use the next smaller pan so your fondant falls past the bottom of the cake and board. I use medical scissors to cut it off. Gives me a nice smooth edge. Sometimes I cut it about 1/2in past the board, and tuck it under. Just depends on what I feel like doing.

I know medical scissors can be hard to come by, but in my line of work...its hard not to have a pair...or 5.

dsilvest Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

Make sure that you do not handle the fondant covered foam for 24 hours. You need to let the fondat dry a bit, that way you don't get a lot of dinples from fingerprints.
Then stack the cake together 24 hrs after letting the fondant sit on the foam.

mindy1204 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 6

It didnt even occur to me to let the fondant dry a little... great point. I will deff do that next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%