White Smbc? Is It Possible!

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 22 Apr 2013 , 3:10pm by jones5cm

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 42

Anyone know of a way to make SMBC or IMBC more white and not so
"creamy yellow"? Can I add Wilton's white white coloring or would that not work? I want to use SMBC for a baby shower cake soon and want white icing not off white or pale yellow...any ideas or suggestions? TIA icon_cool.gif

41 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 42

You could use shortening for your fat instead of butter. You'd lose that butter flavor, but it would definitely be more white. I've done it with a little butter for flavor and the rest hi ratio shortening. I did miss the butter flavor, though.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 42

A real SMBC or IMBC is real butter based. You can never get it pristine white.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Anyone know of a way to make SMBC or IMBC more white and not so
"creamy yellow"? Can I add Wilton's white white coloring or would that not work? I want to use SMBC for a baby shower cake soon and want white icing not off white or pale yellow...any ideas or suggestions? TIA icon_cool.gif

Butter icings will never be truly white....BUT....try this...it makes a big difference.

Place butter in mixing bowl and allow it to come to room temperature.

Beat the butter at high speed for about 5 minutes....the color will lighten significantly.

Butter will be really soft at this point. Refrigerate for a while to firm some what before making your icing.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 42

Of course! I make it all the time! Go to an organic/holistic food store and get some butter with no dyes! It is a slightly off-white butter, but not yellow. Once incorporated with the sugar and egg whites, it's a beautiful, perfect white!

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 42

On that note, has anyone tried the organic butter at Costco? Just wondering how white it is?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

Of course! I make it all the time! Go to an organic/holistic food store and get some butter with no dyes! It is a slightly off-white butter, but not yellow. Once incorporated with the sugar and egg whites, it's a beautiful, perfect white!

That's good to know! I had no idea that existed! icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:27am
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

That's good to know! I had no idea that existed! icon_biggrin.gif

good to know!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 42

I stumbled across this forum post while researching this very subject. I see that it's from a few years ago though; so I'd like to bump it and see if any one has any 'new' techniques or advice to get a more white SMBC? I need it for a wedding in April this year.

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 42

My SMBC or IMBC are white. As in white enough. Not crisp white, but still white.. I live in Holland and luckely we cannot buy butters with yellow dye in it. Organic butters as wel as regular real butter. Look for butter with just 1 ingredient: butter. icon_smile.gif

The butter itself is not white, still a yellow cream colour, but mixed with the meringue it gets a nice white colour.

picture: [img]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-WL6P6VIH-D.jpg[/img]

You can see the IMBC on the edges, the dam and on top of the cake, just under the off-white marzipan. The middle layer is whipped cream. You can see that is only one shade whiter.

I don't know if you think that is white enough?

I personaly like the colours of nature.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 42

When I need white as possible, I'll make a small batch of SMBC with no vanilla as a final coat over the top of my regular SMBC (with vanilla paste-so lots of specks and ivory color naturally).

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieperdepiep 

My SMBC or IMBC are white. As in white enough. Not crisp white, but still white.. I live in Holland and luckely we cannot buy butters with yellow dye in it. Organic butters as wel as regular real butter. Look for butter with just 1 ingredient: butter. icon_smile.gif

The butter itself is not white, still a yellow cream colour, but mixed with the meringue it gets a nice white colour.

picture: [img]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-WL6P6VIH-D.jpg[/img]

You can see the IMBC on the edges, the dam and on top of the cake, just under the off-white marzipan. The middle layer is whipped cream. You can see that is only one shade whiter.

I don't know if you think that is white enough?

I personaly like the colours of nature.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm going to look for non-colored butter at the whole food store here in the states. I actually don't mind the color; but I'm trying to please a bride. Your picture is certainly whiter than mine; these are the tasting cakes I made for her:

I feel sure that changing the butter is going to help Thanks!!

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 42

AWhite food coloring, maybe?!? And a combo with clear vanilla, and organic butter. Sounds oxymoronic, now that I think about it. Lol

NJsugarmama Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 42

A

Original message sent by jones5cm

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm going to look for non-colored butter at the whole food store here in the states. I actually don't mind the color; but I'm trying to please a bride. Your picture is certainly whiter than mine; these are the tasting cakes I made for her: [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2950521/] [/URL] I feel sure that changing the butter is going to help Thanks!!

Wow. That is really yellow.

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

When I need white as possible, I'll make a small batch of SMBC with no vanilla as a final coat over the top of my regular SMBC (with vanilla paste-so lots of specks and ivory color naturally).

Thanks, that's a good idea too! but I use Wilton's clear vanilla anyway, so the ivory color is coming only from the real unsalted butter that I use.

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:50pm
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJsugarmama 

Wow. That is really yellow.

Yes it is! but tastes GREAT!! The bride loves the taste; but is not happy with the color...I've got just a couple of weeks to figure this one out!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:26pm
post #17 of 42

I'm wondering if you can just airbrush this white afterwards?  Or cover with a thin layer of shortening based ABC?

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 42

It's a 5 teired cake and I'm concerned about having the time to ice it with SMBC, let set up then ice again with American BC. but I'm going to do what ever it takes at this point.

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:52pm
post #19 of 42

Ummm...airbrushing in white...now that's an idea! I wonder what the bride would think of pearl white...it's worth asking, right?

Thanks!

AZCouture Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 42

Holy whoa...that is seriously yellow, I've never seen bc that yellow before. 

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:05pm
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Holy whoa...that is seriously yellow, I've never seen bc that yellow before. 

I suppose it was the brand of butter I used; it didn't look that yellow until I put the cakes on those bright white plates though. But I can see the brides point...and I need to fix it!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 42

That is really yellow! I have never seen SMBC that color without a lot of brown vanilla in it. Very curious... I hate to ask, and please don't be insulted, but are you, by any chance, using stick margarine, rather than butter? Even generic butter isn't that yellow! I am gobsmacked. 

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:16pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

That is really yellow! I have never seen SMBC that color without a lot of brown vanilla in it. Very curious... I hate to ask, and please don't be insulted, but are you, by any chance, using stick margarine, rather than butter? Even generic butter isn't that yellow! I am gobsmacked. 

No, I never use margarine (and I'm not offended...LOL). However, having thought about it...I may have used a store brand unsalted butter...do you think that's the culprit?? Would a brand like 'Land-o-Lakes', for example, have less dye in it. How will I know before purchasing it? I'm only a hobby baker, so i do my shopping at the grocery or 'big box' stores rather than whole foods. Does anyone know a particular brand of butter I should look for??

AZCouture Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:30pm
post #24 of 42

I just buy the bulk pound blocks from Sam's club. They're a very light yellow, but by the time the SMBC is done, it's basically white, even with the vanilla paste I use. But not adding vanilla will definitely make it white white. For me anyways. 

AZCouture Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:31pm
post #25 of 42

Could be your proportions too, so maybe trying a new recipe might help!

jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:42pm
post #26 of 42

Thanks for all your help; you guys are the best resource!! Now I need to go shopping for butter:)

Thanks, again!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:54pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm 

No, I never use margarine (and I'm not offended...LOL). However, having thought about it...I may have used a store brand unsalted butter...do you think that's the culprit?? Would a brand like 'Land-o-Lakes', for example, have less dye in it. How will I know before purchasing it? I'm only a hobby baker, so i do my shopping at the grocery or 'big box' stores rather than whole foods. Does anyone know a particular brand of butter I should look for??

lol! WHEW!! There are all kinds on here, some of us would've blown a gasket if I asked them that question and the answer would've been yes, lol. 

I used Walmart store brand $2.78 a lb, for years and years. I think it varies per region, but it was always less yellow than Land O'lakes. It was just cream. Now it has cream, natural flavorings. 

NJsugarmama Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 9:35pm
post #28 of 42

A

Original message sent by jones5cm

Yes it is! but tastes GREAT!! The bride loves the taste; but is not happy with the color...I've got just a couple of weeks to figure this one out! Thanks to everyone for the help!

I bet it tastes amazing. I just did a side by side comparison of my land o lakes vs. Costco bulk. LOL is a smidge lighter.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 1:40am
post #29 of 42

Try adding a small amount of violet color and that turn it more white.  Sounds strange but it works.

jones5cm Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 4:54pm
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

lol! WHEW!! There are all kinds on here, some of us would've blown a gasket if I asked them that question and the answer would've been yes, lol. 

I used Walmart store brand $2.78 a lb, for years and years. I think it varies per region, but it was always less yellow than Land O'lakes. It was just cream. Now it has cream, natural flavorings. 

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to make another test batch this w/e with Walmart brand butter and/or try adding either Wilton White White or a tiny bit of violet. I feel the need to test it because whatever I do to make it whiter, I don't want to change the taste nor the texture (it's super easy to work with - smoothing).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%