Cupcake Cake

Decorating By leah_s Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 12:01am by poohsmomma

leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 7

I'd never take an order for one of these things, but it was from a good customer, so . . .

You know the kind, where you snuggle all the cupcakes together and ice them as one shape? Do you need to secure the cupcakes to a board or does the top icing hold everything together?

6 replies
bashini Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, hope this will give you some idea how you can do it,

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12745500/How-to-Make-Cupcake-Cakes

good Lcuk! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 7

I do alot of cupcake cakes..You bake the cupcakes and set a heavy cutting board or whatever on top of the muffin tin right after they come out of the oven to flatten them.Once they cool arrange on a cakeboard.Stagger each cupcake to elimiate too big of cracks.Once you are happy with the arrangement then ice the bottom of each cupcake and place back down on the board.Ice the top with the wilton icer tip and smooth.No you are ready to do you design!!

leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

OK! Seems simple enough. It's always the seemingly simple stuff that trips me up. Something with 8490758390 steps, I'm fine.

Cake_Princess Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd never take an order for one of these things, but it was from a good customer, so . . .

You know the kind, where you snuggle all the cupcakes together and ice them as one shape? Do you need to secure the cupcakes to a board or does the top icing hold everything together?

I put a small dab of icing on the outer cupcakes.

Bev55 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 7

I have made a lot of cupcake cakes. You usually put a small dab of icing on the outside cupcakes. That seems to anchor them to the board. If I am making it for myself, I usually just ice the cupcakes and forget about the board because the clean up is much cleaner. I have used marshmallows between the cupcakes so the icing will go on smoothly. The kids think the marshmallows are an extra treat. No plates or forks to serve a cupcake cake. Look at my photos to see some examples. Happy baking!

poohsmomma Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #7 of 7

I've only made one cupcake cake, but I tried something a little different. This was a party for 4 and 5 year olds and I didn't want that smear of icing on the bottom of the cupcake ending up on the clothes.
In my never-used crafty supply box, I had some "glue dots" -just like it sounds, they are tiny dots of peel-able glue. I arranged my cupcakes, stuck a dot on the bottom of the cupcakes, and stuck them to the board. They stuck REALLY well-almost too well! And there was no gooey icing on the bottom to smear on the clothes when they licked all the icing off the top of the cupcake. ( I think that's the only thing most of them ate!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%