Piecing Together Fondant?

Decorating By JaimandJ Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm by DianeLM

JaimandJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimandJ Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a HUGE battleship cake for my Dad's retirement from the Navy and I think I bit off more that I can chew. I am using 2 11x15 cakes butted up against each other (lengthwise) to elongate the look.
I am afraid that a very long piece of fondant will dip in the middle where the cakes meet so I was wondering if I could cover each cake and somehow hide the seam?
This is the largest cake EVER and I am terrified that I will not be able to roll a piece of fondant long enough, even using plastic from the fabric store.
The party is next Sat (9/20) so I have been running through options in my head even while I sleep.
I figured I ask some pros for some advice!
Thanks!!! icon_confused.gif

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 4

So the ship will be 30" long?

Wow. You should sign up for the Cake Challenges on TV! No advice, but best of luck.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 4

Wowza! The only think I can think of is chocolate (or candy) clay instead of fondant. Mike McCarey , Duff, and others use lots of it when they need something to hold shape and/or structure. I took a terrific class from Keith Ryder on different techniques with clay, and it is very user-friendly. You could even cut the side panels from clay and use fondant for the remainder. The clay tastes good and is easy to cut and serve. Good luck - I know he'll be thrilled with whatever you create for him!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 4

Try this... Chill your cakes.

Assemble, then cover them with cake spackle (cake crumbs mixed with buttercream).

Roll out your 30+ inch piece of fondant on vinyl. Flip the vinyl over onto the cake. Smooth fondant, peel off vinyl.

The spackle will fill and level the seam between the cakes. Applying the spackle to chilled cakes will cause it to harden, which will prevent lumps and bumps when you add the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%