Extruder From Amazing Wedding Cakes Show

Decorating By momma28 Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 1:07am by loulou2

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 28

Does anyone know what brand the fondant extruder that Christopher Garren was using is. I am tired of squeezing and would love to get the one he used that winds up like a vice almost. Thank You icon_smile.gif

27 replies
juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 28

I have the same one, it is green. I got mine at Michaels, I can't remember the name of it but, it was in the clay isle.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 28

made by Makins.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 28

Hobby Lobby here carries them.....in the clay aisle
It's an excellent product, especially easy to use

momma28 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 28

Thank you icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #6 of 28

I COULD NOT EVEN FIND A CLAY GUN AT mICHAELS

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #7 of 28

They do not sell them at my Michaels - they have some Makins accessories, but no clay guns. I got mine online at cakeconnection dot com - not sure if she still has them or not. I love that little gadget.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 28

I can never find them at my local micheals!! I believe kmart sells it - I know I've seen it on their website

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #9 of 28

forgive my ignorance, but what makes this easier than other ones?

madgeowens Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #10 of 28

but is it food safe?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:05am
post #11 of 28

I haven't seen the TV show you're referring to but it sounds like this:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=makin+extruder

Emma

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:50am
post #12 of 28

The Makins is awesome. I doubt it is food safe, but none of us really care. It is intended for use with clay or Sculpey type products. What makes it better than the plunger types most people start out with is that is is twist operated, putting greater force with less effort. Rather than pushing it on that little fat pad between your thumb and forefinger....ouch!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #13 of 28

I bought mine at Michaels. It was in the clay isle along with the accessories and the pasta/clay rollers. Mine is a Makins as well. Although I will tell you I don't like it. Mine is metal and the inserts get stuck and bend when you try to take them out.

madgeowens Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:17am
post #14 of 28

Oh ok, I care if it is food safe, I make things for my grand kids and other family....of course there are some relatives i could use it for I suppose. hee just kidding...I do care

patticakesnc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #15 of 28

Ahhhh that is why mine sucks....it is a plunger...and yet it came from Michaels and yes it hurts the heck out of my fingers and yes I hate it....but it does come in handy when I need certain things done (like tassles, hair etc).

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:29am
post #16 of 28

Ok Madge, you'll be ok. It's what we all use. It ain't gonna kill ya.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:18am
post #17 of 28

why would a tool not be food safe unless you had otherwise used it with another product? what I'm trying to say is...it's a brand new clean tool...you could use it for anything! icon_lol.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:21am
post #18 of 28

I agree step0nmi. It's brand new and looks to be made from (plastic and metal) so stick it all in the dishwasher and it's food suitable if you ask me!

patticakesnc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:11pm
post #19 of 28

It can be due to the materials it is made from. Such as metals containing high levels of lead. Or PVC's that are toxic. I don't worry about it simply because I don't use it on things that are to be eaten. Most people don't sit and eat a gumpaste figurine.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:14pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

why would a tool not be food safe unless you had otherwise used it with another product? what I'm trying to say is...it's a brand new clean tool...you could use it for anything! icon_lol.gif

Right, but so are brand new washed rubber stamps for impressing into fondant. However, come to find out, there was extensive research done showing how it leeches chemicals into food. (really? just from pressing into fondant for 2 seconds?? It didn't make me throw mine out icon_biggrin.gif) So if you wanted to be nit picky, you could say the extruder shaved microscopic bits of metal everytime you screwed and unscrewed it...or the paint flecks off.....allllll kinds of possibly hysterical scenarios. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

It can be due to the materials it is made from. Such as metals containing high levels of lead. Or PVC's that are toxic. I don't worry about it simply because I don't use it on things that are to be eaten. Most people don't sit and eat a gumpaste figurine.

Yeah-that.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:22pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Right, but so are brand new washed rubber stamps for impressing into fondant. However, come to find out, there was extensive research done showing how it leeches chemicals into food. (really? just from pressing into fondant for 2 seconds?? It didn't make me throw mine out icon_biggrin.gif) So if you wanted to be nit picky, you could say the extruder shaved microscopic bits of metal everytime you screwed and unscrewed it...or the paint flecks off.....allllll kinds of possibly hysterical scenarios. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

wow icon_surprised.gif news to me! icon_lol.gif

if we don't tell them...would they care? icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #23 of 28

I think it came to head when Martha Stewart was using them on a show one time. Someone who was either planning on researching what the rubber leaches out, OR already did it, contacted her peeps and I don't know what happened....it may have not even been MS, but it was some show. Anyways, there is a company now that sells food safe rubber stamps.

http://www.sweetstampen.com/

madgeowens Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #24 of 28

I bet not as much metal from extruder than the metal that flaked off my kitchenade whip blade icon_smile.gif....have you seen the new ones by the way? Rubber on the edge all the way to the bottom of mixer bowl,,,it really cleans bottom of bowl and incorporates everything...very nice....and blade is not made od painted metal by the looks of it

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #25 of 28

I just got mine at Hobby Lobby. Haven't used it yet, but I will be in the next couple of days. It's on the isle with the clay. I hope works as well as everyone is saying, I'm making a cake for my hubby and I need some "ropes" and I sooooo, don't want to roll them by hand. Combine the 40% coupon and you can get it for a really good price.

daniassis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniassis Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #26 of 28

I got mine on Amazon. It's called Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay Gun and it works great!

momma28 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:45am
post #27 of 28

I have been using a clay gun for some time now. It has never been used on anything but fondant and was cleaned well before first and after each subsequent use. Im not worried. Have you seen some of the "not in the food gadget section" tools that some of the cake artist on tv use? Pvc piping, motors, wires, a cool button to imprint fondant...the list goes on.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #28 of 28

HOBBY LOBBY SELLS THE MAKINS CLAY EXTRUDER FOR $24.99 -40% COUPON MAKES IT JUST $14.99 icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%