Fondant And Figure Modeling

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm by FlourPots

mommyto4 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:37am
post #1 of 4

Okay, so I tried to use marshmallow fondant to do figure modeling. I added tylose, but it just wouldn't dry hard enough. I'm wondering if MFF would be better or would have the same results. Anyone know?

I ended up purchasing some wilton knowing that it wouldn't be eaten and it dried, but my technique needs much practice so it didn't stay together either. Ended up scraping the idea and going a different direction all together, but I really want to be successful with my fondant figure modeling! I've read Aine2's stuff, but I just couldn't do a standing up figure. Any help with that is also appreciated.

TIA!

3 replies
Price Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 4

I normally use Satin Ice Fondant with some Tylose powder kneaded in and it works very well. Just recently I bought a 2lb. pail of Satin Ice Gumpaste. It really is nice to work with for modeling. I would use the fondant/tylose though if making it for a kids cake. The kids just love eating the figures!

What type of standing figure are you trying to make? Are you making people? Sometimes you have to make your figures in steps. For instance if you are making a standing figure and having trouble with it squishing down before it dries, try making the lower portion of the body first. Put support in the legs by using either tootpicks, coffee stirs, or spagetti. Let that part dry a little while before adding the torso.

What are you using to glue your pieces together? I use edible glue made from warm water and a little tylose powder. Others say they have very good luck taking a piece of gumpaste and adding it to water to make their glue. It takes just a tiny amount of glue on a piece. If you use too much it will cause the pieces to slide apart before they dry.

shannonlovebug Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 4

I learned the hard way that tylose will not harden MMF. I use a 50/50 mix of MMF and gumpaste (wilton brand) and it works like a charm.

FlourPots Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 4

All of the pieces in the photo below were modeled with MMF & tylose. I used Jet-Puff brand MM's, which dries firm anyway even without tylose.

Everything was rock hard. I've used gumpaste before, for the helmet mask in my avatar...I prefer tylose.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%