Best Way To Teach Myself Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By heavenlys Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm by Teekakes

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:27am
post #1 of 7

I have made gumpaste roses and call lilies some daisies but I see cakes overflowing with beautiful gumpast flowers and I long to know how! Send me in the right direction. I am in the middle of Iowa not alot of Cake classes in my neck of the woods. TIA

6 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #2 of 7

Look on youtube. Especially at "tonedna1" video tutorials. She explains everything really clearly.
Good luck

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:40am
post #3 of 7

DVDs are great at teaching flowers, most of them are not difficult as they look.
Order the dvds with the cutters you need so you get to work right away, have wire and tape and the necessary tools that you use for every flower.
Start with one flower, and when you master it go to the next.
I like Nicholas Lodge DVDs you can find them at global sugar art.
Take a look at the flowers in my photos, I learned all by DVDs, when ever you need guidance, this is what cake central if for

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both. I just wasn't sure which dvd's are worth the investment.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 7

I taught myself of what little I know. I sat on rainy Sundays and played a lot with the gum paste it even relieved some stress

Molly icon_smile.gif

PapiCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PapiCakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 7

Tonedna just got out a DVD on how to make stargazer lilies. I just saw a tutorial on Youtube.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 7

Wilton has a very good Gumpaste Flowers kit that comes with the cutters and a detailed pictoral book on how to create a variety of flowers for 19.99 at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, or any other place that carries Wilton supplies. It is an excellent investment for learning gumpaste flowers IMO.
Great place to start then move on up from there if you want to. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%