Jewels

Decorating By whit6 Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm by AngelFood4

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #1 of 7

I am going to attempt to make my very first tiara for a cake in a week (hope that goes smoothy!) and I wanted to put some jewel type things on it. Any ideas how I can make some or should I just buy something? Also, when I put the luster dust on the tiara will it stick to the RI without being wet, or should I wet it? Thanks!

6 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:20am
post #2 of 7

I would just dry dust it on. Or if you do use the alcohol or extract to do it wet, make sure the royal is very dry so it doesn't crack it. I haven't ever made jewels but I did use little pearl dragees, they worked well.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 7

I have found it easier to make the tiaras out of gumpaste instead of royal. You can then paint it wet or dry, it won't matter! They are also not nearly as fragile that way.

Here is the last one I did - painted with pink sheen airbrush color.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1433526

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

How exactly did you make it out of gumpaste? Since you obviously cant pipe it like you do RI do you start off with the same process of doing it on a can and just roll thin pieces of gumpaste and attach them?

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

I would love to know how you did the gumpaste tiara too. It looks absolutely beautiful!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #6 of 7

I use a regular template (like for the royal ones) tape it onto an oatmeal canister, tape some wax paper over that. I then rub a thin film of shortning on the wax paper so the gumpaste sticks well.

Knead some shortning into your gumpaste so it is nice and pliable first.

Roll your gumpaste out into long snakes (an extruder works great for this part) I try to make it symetrical - take one rope and cut it in half to do each side of the design so that they match up perfectly. If you look at mine, there is a section in the front on the top that is 3 sections - I cut that snake into 3 even pieces to do that part - again so it is all even. I use gum glue to glue all the joints together. After all the pieces are on I then make a thicker snake and put it at the bottom to hide all the little other pieces, and again, gumglue at each joint. Let it dry then paint it - I used pink shimmer airbrush color for the pink one.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 7

I have to try this...thank you so much, Loucinda for the detailed instructions icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%