Donating Cakes?

Decorating By CakeyThings Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm by cownsj

CakeyThings Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
I'm just starting out with cake decorating. I moved to FL for a job and I really have no family or friends close by. I really love baking and I decided that instead of letting all the cakes i did in my decorating class go to waste i should give them to someone who really wants them.
I am making a cake and decorating it in class on Monday but I'm travelling on Tuesday and did not want to let the cake waste.
I called a couple charities but they are closed. Last resort, I went to craigslist and offered the cake to anyone who can come pick it up from my class (Public place)
I got a lot of responses and I offered to donate my class cakes to a couple people for the rest of the month.
Is this not something I should do?
I'm reading the forums, and it seems like it may be illegal or at the very least frowned upon.....:S

8 replies
rharris524 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #2 of 9

I'm not 100% sure but I think that as long as you aren't selling them that they are yours to do with as you please...including giving them away

laceycakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 9

Let me first say WELCOME to the most addictive website you will ever go on.

I have a different circumstance in my house. My husband loves that I decorate cakes but he doesn't really like to eat cake. So, one of the things I have done is gone to my bank and asked the ladies there is they would be my "guinea pigs". They were more than willing to volunteer. I also take them up to the school where my mother works. They love it when I bring on in. I have heard that other people donate them to foster group homes. You would have to check in your specific area on how to do that. Or you could take it over to the closest fire station. I'm sure they would love an occasion cake.

Just some ideas to think about. Hope they help.

lainvest64 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 9

I donate mine to the Church. They feed everybody every Wednesday and welcome any donations. Also the youth love them during Sunday school class. I also send them to my husband's work for the workers to enjoy. I have even been asked to donate a cake at Christmas for the Church's silent auction to help the youth go on trips through out the year. I get to practice and get a sense of community work and pride out of donating mine. I have the cost of out pocket and it would be trashed if I was not donating them. Some of the nursing homes will allow them also (at least in small towns).

G_Cakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #5 of 9

I donate all my practice cakes to a local women's shelter where I am.

But I had to introduce myself first as they dont like surprises.

Now we have a great relationship and I do free cakes for any kids in the shelter who happen to be celebrating a birthday.

Call around to local shelter's, food banks etc...I am sure that you will find many willing to except your gift icon_smile.gif

lillermom Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 9

I donate a large cake each month to my local nursing home for their monthly birthday celebration. They were having a birthday party where the residents would sing happy birthday and then the party would end. No cake! That was just beyond depressing and they were more than happy (thrilled!) to have the cake. It's great practice for me and they love the donation.

I do make sure that they understand I am not a licensed bakery and cannot guarantee that anything is nut dairy free etc.

Donate away and have FUN!

miasuzzette Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:28am
post #7 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif I love to hear stories like that, Where you GIVE. Iâm making about 150 Cupcakes for Breast Cancer Awareness and donating them to 2 schools and an Office. It hit my home. I like to GIVEâ¦Thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

Echooo3 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 9

Check out

www.freecakesforkids.com
thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 9

Great ideas from everyone, it gets you thinking. I donate to the church auction they have to raise money for the food pantry. I offered to do cakes if they had people they know need one for birthdays, but they said the local dairy queen donates to them for that. That was wonderful to hear. I also worked the day at a garage/cake sale to raise money for the local dog park. A single couple started the park, put tons of their own money into it, but also take donations and have fund raisers to keep adding features to the park. We bring our dogs there and it's the best place, so I did several cakes to sell by the slice and a few that were raffled. My wife and I worked it that day and had such a great time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%