Articles On Starting Custom Cake Bus.

Business By Price Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:36am by Price

Price Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 6

I was just doing a search on the internet about starting a small custom cake business. I can't believe some of the articles! Here's an example of one of them. " All good cake bakers and decorators learned their skills through culinary school; something which is, quite frankly, very expensive."

While I do agree culinary school is great training, I disagree that "All good cake bakers and decorators" went to culinary school.

Here's another one:

"Anyone who has taken cake decorating classes or has experience in decorating cakes, can start their own home based cake decorating business."
I think I'll take that quote to our health department. Wonder what they would have to say about that! It's written in black and white, so it must be so. Think I'll start my home based business first thing tomorrow morning! icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

5 replies
kelleym Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 6

Associated Content is one of those sites that lets people publish anything - regardless of their knowledge on the subject. The author gets paid something like $0.005 per page view, so some people will post articles on everything under the sun trying to make some "money" (I use the term loosely).

costumeczar Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #3 of 6

Those types of articles are full of s#*t. Half of them are full of typos and misspelled words, and were obviously written by someone who's obviously trying to make some money so they can go buy themselves a clue. About anything.

Price Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 6

Oh! Thanks. The articles seemed pretty generic and lacked any facts or helpful info. I guess that explains it.

I was just looking because I am starting to have people approach me for cakes. This week I had someone with a Marketing/Planning business give me a call and wanted a cake for an event. I would not be looking to go into a 60 hr. week business (too old for that! lol). It would be nice if I could luck into a kitchen that I could use for an hourly rental on an as needed basis. I don't have a clue what It would take to get started, but just thought I might investigate and dream about the possibilities.

cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 6

Go for it Price! You are VERY talented!!

Price Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Cylstrial, that's very kind. I will be taking a week long Decorating and Wedding Cake Course at the "House of Clarendon" in Lancaster Pa, the first week in October and 2 days of classes with Aine2 the last weekend in October. I'm hoping the 2 courses will help me make my mind up as to what I would like to do. I've been trying to decide if I want to really get into the cakes or just keep it as a hobby. Another thought would be making fondant/gumpaste figures and attempting to market them to local bakeries. There's lots to think about. I'd love to be able to quit my 20 hour a week office job and do something I really enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%