Fondant ?????

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:38am by cylstrial

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 3

I just made a batch of MMF and the last few batches have had lumps in it. I sift it with my medal strainer. What am i doing wrong? I hate picking through the fondant and taking the lumps out.I have only made the fondant a few times but the first batches came out great. Now the last maybe 3 batches have these bumps of icing sugar.

Please and tips for this newbieicon_smile.gif

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 3

I'm in no way a newbie to fondant, but this has also happened to me the last couple of times I've made regular (not MMF) fondant. If anyone has any insight I'd be interested in hearing it.

I was thinking that MAYBE it's because I'm lazy and don't necessarily knead the fondant enough as I'm making it icon_rolleyes.gif , so the confectioner's sugar might be clumping up on the outside of the ball of fondant as it sets up. That was my working theory, anyway. I have to make some more next week, so I'll try kneading it more, unless someone has another explanation.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 3

Interesting - I know the last batch of Satin Ice that I bought had huge lumps in it. It was terrible. Every time I rolled it out - there would be a huge lump and then I had to tear it out and start over. I kept collecting them. I told everyone I was going to mail them back to the company that sold the Satin Ice to me. There were seriously at least 50 of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%