Baking From Scratch - Cakes Domed And Fell Flat

Decorating By loves2bake4six Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 1:28am by LaBellaFlor

loves2bake4six Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 3

I was testing a recipe this morning for two cake orders I have coming up and used an Australian recipe recommended by someone on this site.

No problem, I grew up with the metric system have all the weights and measures.

I usually never check ingredients because I am organized and never run out of the basics.

Start the recipe and see it calls for SELF RAISING FLOUR. Now that's one flour I do not have on hand. Jump online and see I can add baking powder and salt.

I MISCALCULATED!! Instead of adding 6 3/4 tsp I only added 4 1/2.

My cakes rose, domed , the smaller ones cracked and on cooling all the cakes dropped back to the height they were poured at.

The cakes are delicious!! But like dense fudge cakes rather than the dense but still lighter chocolate cakes they were supposed to be.

Thank goodness these were just test cakes. And thank goodness we are going out with a LARGE group of people tonight. I quickly made some Ganache, poured it on and will take it with.

Now I'm left debating whether I should try the recipe again with the real deal - self raising flour - and see how it comes out. What would you do?

2 replies
madgeowens Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 3

cake mix lol...........and use the extender darn good

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 3

Well since you have time go and get the self-rising flour. You said it tasted delcious, so it's probably worth the trouble. Not to mention it'll just be easier on you and you don't have to be worried about mismeasuring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%