Wrapping A Cake With Ribbon

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 5:57am by Justbeck101

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 6

I haven't done this yet, but for my future reference ...

Do you need to put anything behind the ribbon to protect the cake from colour bleeding? I vaguely remember reading something about it (somewhere), but don't remember all the details.

TIA

5 replies
karateka Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

Well....ribbon isn't considered food safe, so there should be something (wax paper, acetate strips, etc) between it and the cake to protect the food. If your ribbon isn't colorfast, then yes...I'd protect your cake. Although it hasn't happened to me yet, it doesn't mean it won't.

Rylan Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 6

Some people line the back of their ribbon with packaging tape. Honestly, I'd rather use fondant ribbon.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:37am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Some people line the back of their ribbon with packaging tape. Honestly, I'd rather use fondant ribbon.

But packaging tape isn't food safe either, is it?

Sometimes people want a really wild ribbon design, that's what I meant by a ribbon - like a material one with a design you just can't recreate easily. The fondant ribbon I can do ... haven't since my fondant class, but I can (at least, I think I still can).

leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:41am
post #5 of 6

YOU are the professional and YOU are in control of the cake design. People can want a "wild design (fabric) ribbon" all they want. It's not going on the cake.

Justbeck101 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:57am
post #6 of 6

I just wanted to mention what I did on a cake with ribbon around the base of each tier. I rubbed the ribbon with shortening until it was all uniform in color. This also made the ribbon stick to the cakes and to the base board and prevented the spotting on the ribbon. No more gluing on the ribbon to the base board for me!!! I just applied it at the reception.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%