Purchasing A Gumpaste/fondant Extruder Clay Gun

Decorating By cakewhiz Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 7:50pm by Crissielyn

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 16

There are two extruders available for purchase. One is used by twisting the top to extrude the paste and says it is much easier on your hands for $25.99. The other has a patented pump action of the gun. The unique lever action gives a mechanical assistance when working with gumpaste. This one is $44.99. Have any of you ladies purchased either of these tools? If so, how did you like them? I want to purchase one of them, but don't know which to get. Any help would be very much appreciated.

15 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 16

I have the green Makins extruder and love it. It is very easy to use and I've used for a lot of different designs. My basket topper was the reason I bought it and it made the design very easy to make.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 16

Forgot to mention that I bought it at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 16

I have the Makins twist-top one too. It's easy to use and I got mine at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon too icon_biggrin.gif

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 16

I've used both of these -

I personally own (and prefer) the green twist top one that you can get at Hobby Lobby.

The reason that I like it better is that if you're extruding a really long rope, it will be smoother due to the ability to constantly twist the top.

The other, more expensive one, uses a pump action, and if you're not careful your rope can get a little jaggedy when you have to make more than one pump action while extruding.

The much more expensive one is usually imported from England and the price is much higher due to import taxes.

just my .02.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 16

I have the green Makin's one. It's the only one I've ever used but I love love love it and couldn't imagine needing an easier one. Got mine on ebay for less than $20.00 since none of the craft stores around here carry the professional crank one only the push one.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 16

I have the green one that twists as well. It's perfect for my needs! And it's super easy to clean!

NancyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancyS Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 16

How does the sugar gun below compare to the Makins? Is it easier to use?
LL

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #9 of 16

That gun is the expensive one I referred to in my previous post. Also, if I'm not mistaken the barrel is slightly smaller so you can't load in quite as much fondant. But just slightly so.

and I agree - the Makins one is easier to clean too.

tpcltcclc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tpcltcclc Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 16

I have the pump one with the orange handle. It was given to me. I like the green one that twists at the top sooo much better. My ropes come out clean and it is so much easier on your hands.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 16

I have one from a company called Walnut Hollow that I got at a Michaels. Around the same price as the green Makin one, but SOOO much easier on the hands.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004478EWG/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's a twist top like the Makin one, but it's easier to twist and makes a very smooth rope. I have the Makin one as well, but definitely like this one better. Plus, it comes with the nifty storage case.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 16

I purchased the one from Michael's today and was not exactly what I was expecting... I wanted to use this to make long border ropes to go around cakes, but basically you are limited to a 4" piece each time, or am i missing something here...?

Do they make an extruder that will allow you to make a much longer rope...? Say 16" or MORE...?

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 16

I have the Walnut Hollow extruder and threw my others away. The Walnut Hollow extruder, with a crank handle, has a much larger barrel capacity than the others that I'd used.... and is easier on the hands.

It appears that Makins and Walnut Hollow are one in the same:

http://poly-clay.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-clay-extruder.html

I always knead Crisco into my fondant before extruding to make it easier to extrude and to eliminate the "chatter" lines that you get on your rope sometimes.

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 16

Just picked up the Walnut Hollow extruder at Michaels (40% off coupon!).... Very excited for the new toy! how long of a route can I realistically expect? Do you normally have to piece together shorter pieces to go around cakes??

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 9:42pm
post #15 of 16

Artway make a large extruder that can make very long borders on it. It's the largest one I've seen.

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 16

I have the clay gun and agree that it can be hard on your hands. Plus it can be a pain the you-know-what to put back together if it comes apart up at the top where the spring is.

I have been able to make long ropes before. I extrude most of what is in the barrel and then carefully take off the top and refill the barrel and continue extruding. You have to be very careful when doing this so you dont break off the rope that you just extruded, but it can work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%