Treasure Chest Cake..how Do I Support The Top?

Decorating By Melchas Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm by Price

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a treasure chest cake for a birthday and I was wondering how you suppor the "lid"? I have looked at several pics and it looks like most people use dowels.
Do you use cardboard to suppor teh lid and let it rest on the dowels? and do you also use cardboard on teh top of the bottom of the box for the dowels to rest on?
Any help or direction to any tutorials is appreciated.
Thanks.

7 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 8

Yes, the lid sets on cardboard. You put the dowels all the way through the cake. At the back the dowels were slightly above the top of the cake. In the middle they were about an inch above the top of the cake, and at the front they were 2 inches above. You just carefully place the lid.

Jodie

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 8

I recemtly made a treasure chest cake I put cardboard under the lid and I used balloon sticks (bought them at hobby lobby) its the kind that have the cello-cup at the end of the stick and I put frosting on the cello-cup and let the lid rest on it I put 3 across the middle and place the sticks all the way though the cake to keep it level using those sticks seem to help it have more support. (the treasure chest is in my pics if you'ed like to see it)

Molly

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 8

I thought I saw them using skewer sticks on one of the cake shows...

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 8

I did one a few years ago. I can't remember exactly what I did. I had so many problems with it. A friend of mine suggested this for the lid: cake on a double board that rests on dowels stuck into the bottom cake, the 2nd board is used to keep the dowels from sliding on the upper cake board. Cut notches/holes in that board that the dowels will go through and rest on the upper board. Dowels should go into the bottom board (the chest) for stability, not just rest on it. This sounds like a real secure set up. You really don't even need the 2nd board to be a full size board, I would use a piece of foam core. I remember I put skewers along the back edge through the lid into the chest. So there's some advice for you. Hope it helps.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:18am
post #6 of 8

This sounds kinda hard, I mean not the top part but the sliding of the cake part, how do you prevent it succesfully?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 8

I made the lid of RKT covered in fondant. It was on a cake board cut the same size as the lid. I used the plastic dowels to hold it up and tried my best to hide the dowels with the treasure.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 8

Something else that might help to make your lid more secure is to use melted choc at the back of the box to help hold the lid from sliding. Once the melted choc has cooled it's pretty strong!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%