Plastic Decorations

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

Ok...what are the general guidelines here. Is it ok to use plastic decorations? Or does it look cheap and un-inspired? I'm attaching my concept art so you can see what I'm talking about.

Guess I should mention...the nursery area may be plastic...cause I'm not good with finer details

4 replies
ApplegumKitchen Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 5

Honest answer icon_redface.gif - might NOT be what you are wanting to hear

but my PERSONAL honest opinion is ... Yes it looks cheap and tacky!
I've seen many a cake where the person has done everything handmade and put the effort in - only to top it off with a 'crafty' type item sometimes plastic sometimes something else - like a couple of buckets or something equally EASY to make in gumpaste.

I think you could do 'simple' versions of nursery furniture - a chest of drawers could just be a rectangle of paste the you mark in drawer fronts with a cutter or even a piece of folded acetate- basically anything that give you the shape you need - drawer pulls could be simple 'balls' stuck on
A cot can have solid ends and just a ladder type frame for the sides. The same as your rocker - just rollout a rope length and form the shape of each side - flatten slightly between a flat surface and your fondant smoother. Then just make a couple of round pads for back and seat.
Few simple toys or a lamp on the dresser and voila - your nursery furniture is complete

Make your stork on a satay skewer - so that it can be inserted into the cake at the angle that you want - the skewer becomes its leg

I think anything made in sugarpaste - no matter how simple - will look 150% better than the BEST artificial items you place on the cake.

JUST MY OPINION THOUGH ! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 5

You'll get different answers on this one.

I'll be honest, I don't use plastic decorations on my cakes because I don't like them. But sometimes when I'm struggling with something it seems really foolish that I don't just go and buy a plastic one to save myself the stress.

I agree that it wouldn't be impossible to make the nursery furniture out of gumpaste. But it also depends on if you're making the cake for a customer and whether their budget is big enough to include your sculpting time.

jammjenks Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with the PPs that sugar items look better than plastic. However, I do use non-edibles from time to time. I really have no problem with plastic decorations, but you'll get more of a WOW factor with gumpaste/fondant pieces.

d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys....I really dont want to use them either....I think they really take away from the cake. I guess I'll just have to start on them early so i can get them right. I have left over MMF, maybe I'll try and pratice with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%