Painting A Wood Grain Finish

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 3:16am by cownsj

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone out there in CC land had any tips on how to paint a wood grain finish onto fondant.

I don't have an airbrush gun and no chocolate fondant....I was thinking about marbleizing two different colors of fondant but I don't thin I have enough brown left to effectively mix with anything else.

My DH suggested I use coloring and paint it on but have never done it and wondered if anyone here online has tried this or has any other suggestions.

Thanks for reading icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 7

I've done a few wood boards out of fondant now, and wouldn't do it any other way but to paint it on. Just put some vanilla (or vodka) in a small bowl, not even enough to fill the bottom, then depending on the color wood you are looking to achieve use either ivory, or brown food coloring. Put a bunch in one spot and using your paint brush keep pulling brown into the vanilla and mixing it with the brush then paint onto your fondant. By painting you can get more color into the wood grain, plus you get the highlights and variations in the wood color that make it look more realistic. Remember you can always add more color as you go, you can even wipe it down with a paper towel if you think you applied too much. Once you get going, you will lose your fear of it quickly and have a ball with it. Even if after you're done you decide you want more color, just wait until it's past the "sticky" stage of drying and you can paint it again. I'm attaching a photo of a wood grain board I made, and painted, if that will help.
LL

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 7

thank you so much this helps tremendously!!!!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with cownsj. I have also done a wood grain effect (not as nice as the one in the pic, though), and that's what I did. Even if you don't make the divider indents (it looks to me like cownsj cake has been scored before painting - very lovely), just use a brush wide enough to make one 'board'. I'll see if I can attach one I did of a stage with curtains opening. The 'stage' is painted wood boards. Stop and start at different points, to give it a real floor boards look.

Good luck!
LL

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 7

I agree that painting is the way to go too. I do recommend that you "score" the fondant to give it the grain of the wood. This way when you paint it the coloring will go into the scoring and give it the realisitc effect. If you score it afterwords then you may have white marks where you scord it.

lscain1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lscain1 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 7

So if you are putting the fondant on a cake, you put it on first and then paint it, right?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #7 of 7

Yes, put your fondant on your cake first, then make any marks you may want, then paint it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%