Rough Extrusions From Clay Gun

Decorating By grandmom Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm by jlynnw

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have the Makins green clay gun. I use MFF fondant, and I work in lots of Crisco when I am going to extrude MFF from the Makins. No matter how much Crisco I work in, the extrusions seem rough around the edges. I really don't like the way they look at all. I'd rather roll two ropes and twist than to use that rough stuff.

What am I doing wrong? Or do I just expect too much?

5 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 6

I don't use the Makins, mine is the sugar --aft gun. The only time my comes out a little rough is if my fondant is too dry. You mentioned you added penty of Crisco, so I wouldn't think your fondant is dry. The only other thing I can think of is that the holes in your disk are not smooth. Try taking a tiny file and smoothing the holes. Sorry, that's the only suggestion I can think of.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 6

You might have a bad disc, does this happen with different discs or just one? Also try putting a light film of crisco on the fondant before you put it in the barrel. This might help.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

I usually make my fondant very moist with crisco and drops of water, I also warm it up. Sometimes the extra moisture from the gel color is enough but others I crisco my hands well then wet them a bit and knead the fondant. Don't give up on the extruder, I use that same one and love it, it's just that the fondant needs to be so much softer than for normal usage.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, guys! I'll keep trying.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 6

Along with all the other suggestions, I also crisco lube the tube and disk just a touch. I find the softer and well lubed fondant comes out best. If I need to work with it and it is too soft, I let it firm up a few minutes and then work it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%