Rough Extrusions From Clay Gun

Decorating By grandmom Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm by jlynnw

grandmom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have the Makins green clay gun. I use MFF fondant, and I work in lots of Crisco when I am going to extrude MFF from the Makins. No matter how much Crisco I work in, the extrusions seem rough around the edges. I really don't like the way they look at all. I'd rather roll two ropes and twist than to use that rough stuff.

What am I doing wrong? Or do I just expect too much?

5 replies
Price Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 6

I don't use the Makins, mine is the sugar --aft gun. The only time my comes out a little rough is if my fondant is too dry. You mentioned you added penty of Crisco, so I wouldn't think your fondant is dry. The only other thing I can think of is that the holes in your disk are not smooth. Try taking a tiny file and smoothing the holes. Sorry, that's the only suggestion I can think of.

badkitty Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 6

You might have a bad disc, does this happen with different discs or just one? Also try putting a light film of crisco on the fondant before you put it in the barrel. This might help.

raquel1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

I usually make my fondant very moist with crisco and drops of water, I also warm it up. Sometimes the extra moisture from the gel color is enough but others I crisco my hands well then wet them a bit and knead the fondant. Don't give up on the extruder, I use that same one and love it, it's just that the fondant needs to be so much softer than for normal usage.

grandmom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, guys! I'll keep trying.

jlynnw Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 6

Along with all the other suggestions, I also crisco lube the tube and disk just a touch. I find the softer and well lubed fondant comes out best. If I need to work with it and it is too soft, I let it firm up a few minutes and then work it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%