Need Help With A 3-D Cake

Decorating By mcampbell31 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm by Makeitmemorable

mcampbell31 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 9

I've been taking the Wilton Courses. Finished Course 1 & 2 and now i'm in the Fondant Gumpaste Course. Of course they do not teach you how to do 3-d cakes. Well i'm in the middle of doing a cake for my nephews Birthday Party tomorrow and part of the cake is 3-D.

My question is how do you keep together the different parts of the cakes without it falling apart? I thought toothpicks but then I thought I would not want anyone biting into a toothpick. How is this done??

I'm makin Optimus Prime Truck from Transformers.

8 replies
mcampbell31 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 9

Nobody..wow thanks. icon_sad.gif

revel Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

The pieces should stick together with buttercream. Then cover the whole thing with buttercream that should work. Are you covering it with fondant as well?

cownsj Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 9

Definitely used buttercream, not too thin in consistency. If absolutely necessary, and there is enough cake, you can add a dowel as well and just let people know there is a dowel in there so they're careful when cutting. But that depends on the amount of cake you are trying to hold together.
Good luck.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 9

You need to give people a chance to read and respond to the post before you make a comment like this..It kinda doesn't make anyone want to answer icon_confused.gif

"Nobody..Wow thanks icon_sad.gif"

Be patient...someone will respond! thumbs_up.gif

Molly2 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 9

I would dowel it. you could also use Skewers

Molly

Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 9

If you are worried about kids eating it and don't want to put anything in it that cannot be eaten, try some dry spagetti the thick one. I will also depend on how much you are expecting it to hold. I use this alot in figures if I know it's for a kids party and for putting mirrors etc onto car cakes.

Good luck,

mcampbell31 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

You need to give people a chance to read and respond to the post before you make a comment like this..It kinda doesn't make anyone want to answer icon_confused.gif

"Nobody..Wow thanks icon_sad.gif"

Be patient...someone will respond! thumbs_up.gif

Sorry if I seemed rushed but I was on a time crunch. I ended up using straws though. This is my first 3-D cake. I had to end up making some more cake because it came out horrible. I'm just really disappointed overall. I'm a beginner so i'm still learning.

Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 9

Don't be disheartened, we have all been there. I am sure it was not horrible, we are just our own worst critics.

Cheer up icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%