Holes In My Cake ?

Decorating By christine154 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 6:09am by madgeowens

christine154 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christine154 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 10

i thought i would give the planet cake recipe for white chocolate mud cake a go
and followed the recipe to a T and although the cake is delicious i have what i suppose are air holes right through the cake ? now if i had done my normal lazy sling it all in the Kenwood job i might of understood but i did exactly as the recipe stated and HAND mixed it lol and have great big holes in it
next time i sling it all in the Kenwood and see what happens lol

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 10

This is why I'm a "until it looks right" cook. Whenever I follow a recipe "to the T", it never turns out right. So I view a recipe as just a suggestion! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

To remove air holes, after pouring the batter into the pan, bang the snot out of those pans. leahs also showed me how to give the pans a spin (that is COOL to watch!) to remove any air pockets.

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 10

Yep, I do the same thing as Debi and bang the snot out of the pan. thumbs_up.gif I put a kitchen towel on the counter first though-it lessens the noise. It really does help get those air bubbles to the surface so they can pop or you can pop them with a toothpick.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This is why I'm a "until it looks right" cook. Whenever I follow a recipe "to the T", it never turns out right. So I view a recipe as just a suggestion! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

To remove air holes, after pouring the batter into the pan, bang the snot out of those pans. leahs also showed me how to give the pans a spin (that is COOL to watch!) to remove any air pockets.

I bet the really cool part is watching the batter hit the walls, just like one of those carnival tie-die spinners! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

I bet the really cool part is watching the batter hit the walls, just like one of those carnival tie-die spinners! icon_wink.gif

Ironically ....... !

I'm helping a friend with her daughter's wedding cake this week. Friend came over on tuesday to bake. So I'm gonna show her this really cool spin thing! Unfortunately, I overfilled the pan and chocolate cake batter went all OVER the place! She couldn't catch her breath, she was laughing so hard. "Yeah, Debi, that is REALLY cool!"

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 10

One note on banging.....I made a strawberry box mix that had little bits of strawberry in it. I banged like heck, and popped bubbles. When we cut the cake, there was layer of the pink specks at the top of each layer!!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:42am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Ironically ....... !

I'm helping a friend with her daughter's wedding cake this week. Friend came over on tuesday to bake. So I'm gonna show her this really cool spin thing! Unfortunately, I overfilled the pan and chocolate cake batter went all OVER the place! She couldn't catch her breath, she was laughing so hard. "Yeah, Debi, that is REALLY cool!"

icon_lol.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:43am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

One note on banging.....I made a strawberry box mix that had little bits of strawberry in it. I banged like heck, and popped bubbles. When we cut the cake, there was layer of the pink specks at the top of each layer!!

I wouldn't bang it too many times. Two or three medium 'bangs' would be enough. You don't want all the bubbles out, or you won't get the height you want.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:44am
post #9 of 10

uhh . . . Indy . . .that's not exactly the way . . .

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:09am
post #10 of 10

The older generation use to take a knife and slice a "s" thru the batter ....I use to do that, but now I just don't over beat the cake mix and I don't seem to get air bubbles....well not many hehehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%