Bridal Expo Upcoming...new Trends?

Business By momma28 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 1:45am by cas17

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 17

I have a bridal expo coming up in several weeks. I am trying to finalize the designs of cakes that I will be bringing (and by extension which shapes of cake dummies I need to order that I may not already have). Are there any really amazing trends or individual cake designs that impress any of you? I would like to make a lasting impression on those who see my work and stand out amongst the other vendors. Thank you for any input icon_smile.gif

16 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 17

I don't believe in trends. I think the word "trend" is a gimick put out by the wedding industry, based on what they're trying to sell. Cupcakes became a "trend" when wilton came out with cupcake stands. Watch and wait for it .... wilton just came out with a bunch of "special" tools for brownies, so brownies are going to be the next wedding trend.

Here's my full opinion on "trends": http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/trend

I don't believe something is "in" or "out". It's all about what the bride wants. I had a bride in 3 days ago who ordered one of "the dreaded!" fountain cakes with stairs. I'm excited to be able to do one of those again! The bride is only about 20, too. Many on here will cringe at the thought of such a "tacky" and "out of date" cake. But you know what? To this bride, it's the most beautiful cake in the world and it's what she wants.

Which is why I buck "the trend" type of thinking. I dont' want to buttonhole my brides into "what everyone ELSE is buying". I help her have whatever SHE wants.

So what to have at your show? Showcase the design that best demonstrates yoru skill and creativity.

momma28 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 17

I understand what you are saying indydebi and now that you say it I agree. What is with the brownie trays anyway...and the brownie cookie cutters that are twice the price of the cookie uh cookie cuttersLOL So trend bad...got it icon_smile.gif So what cake designs make you girls say WOW THATS AMAZING!!!

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 17

I have a 6-tier dummy that I take to shows and I put it on top of glass blocks with lights. It towers WAY over my head. It can be seen peering over the top of the booth. When people round the corner, it's definitely a WOW! factor.

One show, I did a Halloween wedding cake with bats and ghosts on wires, "flying" around the cake. Definitely a WOW! factor cake.

What's different, what's unique, what's going to catch their eye? The first thing you need to get them to do is STOP at your booth. Have a traditional cake here and there but get something to catch their eye and make them STOP and look.

momma28 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I have a 6-tier dummy that I take to shows and I put it on top of glass blocks with lights. It towers WAY over my head. It can be seen peering over the top of the booth. When people round the corner, it's definitely a WOW! factor.

One show, I did a Halloween wedding cake with bats and ghosts on wires, "flying" around the cake. Definitely a WOW! factor cake.

What's different, what's unique, what's going to catch their eye? The first thing you need to get them to do is STOP at your booth. Have a traditional cake here and there but get something to catch their eye and make them STOP and look.

Do you find that they are worth the time and financial outlay? Someone recommended offering a discount if they booked that day (nothing huge just a motivator) but im not sure it would work or if I want to do that. Have you ever offered anything like that?

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 17

no, I don't try to book them at the show. They are out there on an information-gathering mission, and I'm sharing information. I don't believe in high pressure when they're "just looking".

Now I will share that this past month I have been offering an Early Booking Discount. Once I send the quote out, I will include "if you book this in the next 10 days ... or by a certain date ..... you may deduct $250 from the total balance due." (On a catering bill, this is really not a lot of money to me, but it's a small fortune to the client.)

This is working GREAT! What it does is book my calendar fast. I don't have "maybe's" hanging out there. And the most important part is I get that 50% NON REFUNDABLE deposit in my hands NOW. I LIKE getting those $2000, $3000 checks right away!

I'm thinking of offering them a choice of $250 off of their total or a free chocolate fountain. My cost of providing a chocolate fountain is way less than $250 so I'm ok either way. It costs me about $100 to provide a free fountain, but the client see's that she's getting a $650 chocolate fountain free. Win-win.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 17

Indydebi is the business goddess!!! icon_biggrin.gif

also, I love that you are now the "Forum Matriarch", Indydebi <3 icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Indydebi is the business goddess!!! icon_biggrin.gif

also, I love that you are now the "Forum Matriarch", Indydebi <3 icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif Really? When did she become that?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 17

when did she become what? She has been both for as long as I have seen her on here! icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 17

Oh, okay. If that's how you feel.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 17

Look at the tag line under your name in your avatar.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 17

I didn't even know they had that ranking. I took it more literal. I look at several people as "matriarch" type of people on this site. Jan H, Toneda, Sugarshack and a few others. You included leah_s.

indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #13 of 17

LaBella, that category was created when I became the first person to hit 20,000 posts. I think it was in August.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:44am
post #14 of 17

Deb...you are so ADDICTED.....I bet Jackie and Heath don't even have a quarter of that many posts... you probably take the computer to bed with you and type in your sleep.....instead of sleep walking you are a sleep typer....lol... but Matriarch??? ..It sounds SO OLD....couldn't they have done Forum Queen or Her Royal forum highness...they need to change it to sound more youngish because we all know you are NOT old....at least not yet....soon though...lol

Teri

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #15 of 17

I've never done a show...maybe next year...but the three weddings I have booked that are coming up are not what I'd consider a traditional cake. I have a cupcakes tower with red white and chocolate cupcakes, a silver, black and purple cake with a castle and bats (Halloween), and a chocolate buttercream with gold dots (most traditional but still not white/ivory or floral)

indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #16 of 17

CakeRN, since I'm known for getting my Mom-Finger going once in awhile, I think it fits! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

Deb...you are so ADDICTED.....I bet Jackie and Heath don't even have a quarter of that many posts... you probably take the computer to bed with you and type in your sleep.....instead of sleep walking you are a sleep typer....lol... but Matriarch??? ..It sounds SO OLD....couldn't they have done Forum Queen or Her Royal forum highness...they need to change it to sound more youngish because we all know you are NOT old....at least not yet....soon though...lol

Teri

i agree and vote for Her Royal Forum Highness! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%