How To Move Cake Tiers?

Decorating By guess_who Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm by lngo

guess_who Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
guess_who Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:33am
post #1 of 5

I have some technique question! And I canât figure it out by myself. icon_sad.gif
For example, you want a cake on a cardboard covered in fondant. If you star icing and filling the cake on this cardboard, you will mess it up, so it must be something else. The same with covering with ganache, you have to do it on the other surface. So my question is, how to move a cake to the final cardboard after it is filled and iced? The only thing that I think of, is if I take a cardboard exactly the size of the cake and but it in the turntable and do all the filling and icing on it, and that it would be easier to move to final cake board and decorate the cake( as you do with the upper tiers). How to work with big cakes? For example the bottom tier is 12-14 inches.

Please, help me!!! I bet there is something I donât know about it, maybe a secret icon_biggrin.gif ..

4 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, and Welcome to CC!!

I do as you say - put, for example, an 8" cake on an 8" board, then on any other larger size I have handy to make it easier to move around.

I do still have trouble moving the cake off the larger board and into final position without messing up the icing around the base of the cake. Hoping someone else will have something useful to offer here...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 5

I decorate on the final board. I've read this question a number of times and honestly, it has never occured to me to decorate the cake and THEN move it to the final board.

Poured ganache, of course, is different. I put the 8" cake on an 8" board and set that on a cooling rack, pour the ganache. Then when it's set, I move it. but that's the only time I move a cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 5

I put the cakes on a board that's the same size, then use one of those flexible cutting boards under it while I'm icing them. (You can get them at the dollar store or flea markets in packs of three for $3 or something like that.) You can wash the cutting boards in the dishwasher.

When I crumb coat I pick them up in my left hand and use my right hand to ice them. Then I put them on the board for the final coat. For the largest ones I do it the same way (lifting to crumb coat) then I put it on the drum it will be sitting on to do the final coat of icing.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 5

My cake rests on its own cardboard (same size). I decorate on the final board by placing strips of plastic on the edge I want to protect. I make sure some of the plastic is tucked underneath the cake. When I'm done decorating, I pull out the plastic and THEN work on the border. I hope that made sense. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%