Can Someone Critique My Flowers Please

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm by sadsmile

mindy1204 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 6

I spent a few hours tonight working on gumpaste flowers. If you look in my photos on the white cake with pearls the roses were so closed they just didnt look good so I made one more open tonight. I think it is ok but can you please tell me what I can do differently.

Also I made some calla lillys. I painted on yellow which doesnt work at all but I wanted to practice painting the gumpaste. I used petal dust and vodka. What colors do you paint your callas or do you leave them white.

The last photo is just white callas, anyway to approve them.

TIA

5 replies
coffeechick Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 6

TIA , i looked at your flowers and your calla lilly is perfection, look up typical colors for calla lillies on the internet. i typically leave mine white or try to match the theme for colors. as far as your rose its also beautiful, I would maybe add somemore petals to the right side from looking at the photo and maybe hang them upside down to give them a more closed but full look. You detail on your flowers are awesome.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1459096.html

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #3 of 6

Your calla lilies are lovely.

The roses on your white cake are lovely. The one you made tonight is more like a wild rose. I think if I were making one that open, I would make a yellow center with little stamens and pollen, and call it a full-blown rose, like the ones that Lori from Wildflowers by Lori makes.

There's a tutorial that really helped me take my roses up a level. Here's the link: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-gum-paste-roses

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 6

I think you are on the right track. I would make sure that I used an odd number of petals when adding to your rose. The one you posted looks a bit oblong. Your work on the edges is really well done.

jmt1714 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 6

Let the rose dry a bit between layers also. It seems like you could use a few inner layers that are a bit more closed before opening it up. I have some roses in good detail in my photos so you can see what i mean. Try to space your petals evenly also on every row. That will help you avoid the oblong effect.

sadsmile Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 6

Great advice here already so I'll add this. Looking at your pink and white roses on the top teir they looked great. They just looked not finished for the size you made them. A rose that tall is going to have a few more layers of petals to fill them out and they would probably wind up twice the size they were. Looks like you made your base cone and petals on the long side. Try shortening them for a smaller rose. I like your closed roses better then your open one. They look more real.

(Friffilng-wow I am making up words again icon_rolleyes.gif ) Frilling your petal to add movement, curling back the edge and then laying over spoons to set up a few minutes may help you get the look you are after.

I think the tip for dusting flowers and getting a natural look is to mimic the color and pattern on the flowers you are trying to replicate by dry brushing the powder on. Just practice it a bit. You are off to a really great start!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%