9.11.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm by all4cake

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:47am
post #61 of 80

Hi all just stopped in quick to see what everyone is up to. I'm doing a 2 tier princess b-day cake for a four year old and each tier is 6 in tall icon_eek.gif but thats what the mom wanted. One thing I'm kicking myself for is not getting the sps for this cake, delivery is gonna suck! Oh well hold my breath and smile. Hope everyone has a great night! icon_smile.gif

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:52am
post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2cakes2

Hi all just stopped in quick to see what everyone is up to. I'm doing a 2 tier princess b-day cake for a four year old and each tier is 6 in tall icon_eek.gif but thats what the mom wanted. One thing I'm kicking myself for is not getting the sps for this cake, delivery is gonna suck! Oh well hold my breath and smile. Hope everyone has a great night! icon_smile.gif

If you make it fruit flavored, you can call it fruit by the foot!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #63 of 80

CakemommyTX- your design is wonderful! What software do you use to draw your designs?

I am working on fondant/gumpaste roses tonight for a 25th ann cake for next weekend. I got the Jem 100mm cutter, and am using the technique shown by Francesca on YouTube. So far it is going very well. The fondant is MFF that I made this week for the first time. I think I will make one more tonight, then head to bed.

d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:56am
post #64 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

The fondant is MFF that I made this week for the first time. I think I will make one more tonight, then head to bed.

MMF is great! Add a bit of vanilla extract...or any other flavor...and its wonderful

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #65 of 80

d3sc3n7, icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Ok no more goofing off for me back to this cake.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:26am
post #66 of 80

I don't know if anyone else is still up but I'm finally posting on FNCC!
I had 2 cakes due for tomorrow and I'm aching all over and my eyes are crossing. How do you professionals do it???!!! Still finishing up the 2nd one but it's for my son's 1st Birthday so I don't mind at all.

d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I don't know if anyone else is still up but I'm finally posting on FNCC!
I had 2 cakes due for tomorrow and I'm aching all over and my eyes are crossing. How do you professionals do it???!!! Still finishing up the 2nd one but it's for my son's 1st Birthday so I don't mind at all.

I'm still up!

Not sure why, I have to work tomorrow...but oh well.

I'm no pro though...I am a night owl however! being up late just comes natural

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:57am
post #68 of 80

I'm still up too. Haven't done anything besides wrap my cakes in press n seal. I just discovered my sam's icing is best if used by 9/18 so it is still good icon_smile.gif. I want to level, fill and get my crumb coat done before taking a nap. I'm going to use the grass tip to cover the cake with the exception of the yellow brick road area so I don't have to worry about getting it smooth. I have no idea why i'm procrastinating, but hopefully it will all work out icon_biggrin.gif

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:57am
post #69 of 80

I'm still up.
I'm not a pro but I can get more done late at night when there are no interruptions and the phone doesn't ring anymore. Just me, my thoughts, and the tv.
Right now I'm waiting for my buttercream to set up so I can smooth it.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:06am
post #70 of 80

Done with my cake for this week (my first Cake from Hell!), but for next, I have a football helmet b'day cake. It's the flat one in the Wilton's pan. He's an Eagles fan, so the emblem won't be hard ... on the helmet it's just a white eagle wing.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:43am
post #71 of 80

I've got my 10" tier covered, added the drapes and fleur-de-lis. So I'm 1/3 done...still have to cover the 6", cut out the silhouettes, paint, etc...

I'm just not used to staying up late anymore.

Mom0971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom0971 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:11am
post #72 of 80

I'm still up but not working on a cake. I too love working late at night when the kids are in bed and I just have my music on and my own thoughts. I love my 3 daughters but when they try to help ummmmmmm well let's just say it makes for some very interesting decorations.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:14am
post #73 of 80

I just finished getting the kitchen sort of cleaned! (my least favourite part)....ive had such a horrible week that working on my cakes tonight was all i was looking forward to.

I have three two tiered cake due for Sunday, I have one pretty much done, one covered in fondant and one crumb coated ..so the rest of the work will be done tomorrow night.

One question tho if anyone has made them before. How do you make palm trees? I have tried covering some lil bread sticks with fondant and it looked a little funny and then i just could not the leaves to work at all! soo if anyone has any pointers on those that would be soo great!

Hope everyone is having a great night! icon_smile.gif

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:30am
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Welcome to the FNCC, babykonst. I've been trying to order that baby mold and seems to run out of inventory quickly!

thanks!! i ordered it from a place called flour confections in pickering ontario, they were on back order there too, was on the waiting list for it!! lol

Mom0971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom0971 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:47am
post #75 of 80

Maybe try pretzel sticks that you have taken the salt crystals off of. Or use Tootsie Rolls candies and smooth several together to get the length you need (you could just use the long one though) then to give it a little extra support add some florist wire inside of the tootsie rolls. Just a thought. Hope this helps. I think I am going to bed now. Night y'all.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:59am
post #76 of 80

Just finished up a birthday cake for tomorrow morning and am about to head to bed. I had to wait for my sis to bring over some viva icon_lol.gif because I was out and hubby's at work and am up way later than I would have liked.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:27am
post #77 of 80

I just finished my cakes and now I'm thinking how nice it would be if I had a maid or a magic wand to clean my kitchen up. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the magic wand. Oh most definitely the wand. I must be getting tired because I am just thinking about all the things that I could make happen with that wand.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #78 of 80

I got up early to finish a cake for one my supervisors. My daughter and I do volunteer work together and our one of our supervisor just had a birthday.

I got up at three thirty am to work on it. I made the frosting last night. This morning I did the rest. I can't believe it took me three hours to put the cake together. The little octopus with glasses turned out okay I think. I don't think it's good enough to post.

Oh how did the strawberry lemonade cake turn out? That sounds yummmmy!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #79 of 80

I had a 90 cupcake tower and 6 inch cutting cake to get all finished. had the flowers, etc already done so just had to bake and frost - was completely happy with it - definitly a first time for me!!! its in my profile pics.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #80 of 80

My Friday came Thursday this week...I slept through FNCC.

I delivered a 3 tier cake Friday afternoon for a man who's 90th birthday was being celebrated. Represented on the one cake was:

A bass fisherman (Yes, they specified bass...I was like, if you're not fishing with the man, how do you know what type fisherman he is????)
A bob white quail hunter (yes...specified too)
An Army major
The U.S. Army field artillery patch
A pointer(dog...not stick...not finger)
His favorite meal (pulled pork bbq, red slaw, hush puppies, corn on the cob....yes, specified)
Tomatoes and peppers (that's what he grew in his garden)
Tobacco (the plant/leaves...he picked it when he was younger)
An adding machine( he sold them for many years)
ETA: A swan...there was a funny story behind that...

It had to be delivered more than an hour and a half away....half way there, I began praying nothing goes amok-I forgot my repair essentials tote!

Almost there, I began cussing-I forgot my camera!

It was the BEST DELIVERY/SET-UP EVERRRRRRRRRRRR! They sat him at the head of the table and they all (all that was there at the time...about 25 or so people) gave him a box of tissues and they watched as I finished the cake.....there were hugs and squeals and hand clapping (not applause...more the oh, goody goody type clapping)...It was just awesome!

Now, that I'm over my caffeine withdrawal headache (gotten from too much catch up sleep, I have one for tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%