No, I Am Not Making My Own Birthday Cake!

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:02am by cylstrial

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 8

My birthday is this weekend. A couple of weeks ago, I told my DH that I'd like an ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery (or Stone Cold, I never remember). We just had one open close to us, and the cakes look devine!

So, this week, he asks me what kind of cake I want. (Didn't I tell you, like, 5 times already? icon_rolleyes.gif ) Then he says that, because money's a bit tight right now (we just bought a new van) that it's either a cake or a present from him (the kids' one is already bought). I gave him that, "You're kidding, right?" look, then said "I am not making my own birthday cake."

"So, what do you want? A cake or a present?"

Pause ... "I said that I am not making my own cake. I didn't say YOU couldn't make it. There's a Butter Pecan cake mix in my cake cupboard. Don't break my KA."

The light coming from his chair was blinding. dunce.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 8

Happy Birthday anyhow!

Mine was last weekend. I decided not to make my own cake, so DH and kids made a Jello cheesecake for me, and little sis made me a carrot cake with mandarin oranges, coconut and golden raisins, with a tub of coconut pecan frosting for filling, a tub of cream cheese frosting for the outside, and a chocolate maple leaf as a decoration. It was very sweet of all of them.

Next year I will just make my own cake and be done with it.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 8

Happy Birthday!

I know what you're going through. The only times I have had a birthday cake in the 23 years I've been married is when I told him what to buy, and where. (Usually, Ben & Jerry's)

How old are your kids? Could they "help" Dad make the cake? If they're old enough to "help", then you can get them all enthusiastic about it, and he wouldn't have a choice.

(I'm terrible, aren't I?)

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 8

I love the idea of kids helping with the cake. My Wee One loves to help me bake and often just doesn't get a hold of those decorating bags as she'd like. I'd like to make my own but just wouldn't put the time into it.

Happy birthday CutiePie!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 8

Happy Birthday CutiePie!! It's not a party without cake! icon_wink.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks, all.

Today, Kyle told me that 'Dad wants the phone number for Cold Stone Creamery'. As I was leaving for work, he was on the phone. It it's not from there, then probably DQ.

(Mind you, he spend 1/2 his day slogging broken concrete slabs from a friend's house to the dump, so I can't blame him for not wanting to bake and decorate anything tonight.)

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #7 of 8

Happy Birthday!

September 9 is my birthday. Usually DH and the boys make my cake (last year was red velvet) But this year DH was traveling so, not only did I make my own cake (chocolate), I also inscribed it with "Happy Birthday Mom". My boys thought that was hilarious. They couldn't believe I actually did that. Oldest boy led his brothers in making the "L" sign on their forehead. As in "only losers make their own birthday cake." I get no respect. All in jest of course. . ha ha ha icon_biggrin.gifprincess.gificon_biggrin.gif

Later boy # 1 & 2 said that if I had just waited one day they would've made me a cake. My birthday was Wed I baked my cake on Monday cos I had a busy Tuesday. icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

The light coming from his chair was blinding. dunce.gif

LOL! icon_lol.gif You just have to lov'em!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%