Need Some Advice

Business By babareno Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 12:51am by madgeowens

babareno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babareno Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 25

I am fairly new to decorating cakes and have only been doing this for about a year. A friend of mine asked me if I would make her mom's wedding cake and I said sure. She wanted a fake 4-tier multi shaped cake covered in fondant and then wanted 3 12x18 sheet cakes to feed her guests. For the sheet cakes, she wanted the cake scored for 54 slices with a black swirl on each piece.

For the tiered cake, she wanted black scrolls on the bottom and third tiers. For the second, a pink ribbon around the tier with white icing dots. The top tier she wanted rhinestones randomly put on around the tier. This was a simple cake but still took quite a bit of time to make. She provided the tiers, ribbon, and rhinestones. I bought the fondant.

I gave her a price of $70 each for the sheet cakes and $150 for the tiered cake. The $150 for the tiered cake comes from $75 for supplies (fondant and food coloring) and another $75 for labor. It took me 13 hours to make the cake. The total was $360.

She felt this pricing was too high and asked if I would reconsider the pricing. I explained how I came up with the price and told her I still felt that it was fair but would be willing to take 10% off of the price of the sheet cakes for a grand total of $340.

This all happened yesterday and her wedding is tomorrow. I have not heard from her at all and she has not confirmed a pick up time for the cakes in the morning. She had told me in her email that she was going to have a friend make the cakes originally but due to work hours was not sure if she would be able to, so she came to me. I am afraid since I have not heard from her that she has decided to have her friend make the cakes for her but decided not to tell me.

What I am asking is: Was my price too high? I did quite a bit of research before giving her a price and I was never trying to con her. What do I do now? I have three large sheet cakes in my frig that I doubt will be picked up. I am not sure how to handle this situation. AND dummy me, (I will never do this again!!!) I made the tiered cake last month and went ahead and gave it to her without payment. She was/is my friend's mom and I trusted her!!!! Not only am I out all the time I have spent making the cakes but I am out all the cost that I put into it! How do I handle this??????

24 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 25

No, your price was too low. Friend or not, $150 for a 4-tier cake is way too low to charge, especially if she wants scrolls on it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #3 of 25

I agree. You should have charged a lot more than you did. I would call to confirm with her. Granted it's not your place to call her, but this way she may HAVE to talk to you.
I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 25

Wow, talk about ignorant and rude people. With friends like that you don't need enemies. Your price was really low, and I would be on the phone already and ask when they want the cakes or if they were picking them up or what.....and that was not good giving them the tiered cake ahead of time....I am so sorry this happened to you....I hope they honor the agreement........its an expensive lesson.....file it away and learn from it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 25

Furthermore, I would get in the car right now and pick up the tiered cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yes yes yes

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yes yes yes

Cake Repo!!!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 25

Excuse me - the wedding is tomorrow????????

Move on - - - this is not you or your prices, but actually poor planning and budgeting on her part.

babareno Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 25

Just curious, what would you all have charged? I have a hard time with pricing, obviously.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #10 of 25

Always, always, always get a deposit up front. Friend or no, you still had to put out the money for the ingredients.

Money can break a friendship like that! {snaps fingers} If she calls and asks you to deliver the cakes tomorrow, you tell her in no uncertain terms that she MUST have the CASH (not a cheque, CASH) in hand before you unload anything, or you'll walk into the reception and remove the display cake infront of everyone. And stick to your guns!!

Good luck.

babareno Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Always, always, always get a deposit up front. Friend or no, you still had to put out the money for the ingredients.

Money can break a friendship like that! {snaps fingers} If she calls and asks you to deliver the cakes tomorrow, you tell her in no uncertain terms that she MUST have the CASH (not a cheque, CASH) in hand before you unload anything, or you'll walk into the reception and remove the display cake infront of everyone. And stick to your guns!!

Good luck.

Lesson learned the hard way. Never ever again.

Thanks for all of your replies!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by babareno

Just curious, what would you all have charged? I have a hard time with pricing, obviously.

your sheet cakes at $70 is in line with what I charge ($75).

Dummy cakes are not cheaper. I do them for 80% of the real-cake price and many charge 100% .... so same price for fake as for real. see my blog where I run the numbers: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/fake%20cake And I think that's what she thought .... that she'd get a fake cake to save money. ("Oh? You have to PAY for those?" dunce.gif )

So without knowing the sizes of your cakes, if I did a dummy cake of 6/8/10/12 which has a serving count of 12/24/38/56 = 130 x $4.50/serving (fondant rate) = $585 x 80% = $468 JUST for the dummy. Plus $225 for the sheets, my total would have been $693.

Since you were kind enough to explain to her HOW you came up with that pricing, she was more than rude, crude and inconsiderate to ask for a price discount. Feel free to tell her what a great deal she got because you "....know someone who would have charged 3 times that much."

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 25

Was the price discussed before you baked and decorated the cakes??

madgeowens Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:51am
post #14 of 25

Go get that cake back prior to the wedding................no pay..........like someone else said .......REPO...................and you were doing her a big favor.......what an ignorant rip

babareno Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:01am
post #15 of 25

No it wasn't. I know, my fault. She also told me price didn't matter. Pretty ironic, huh?

I have called her and emailed her this evening and have not received a reply so I am guessing she is not picking up the cakes. AND believe me, if I knew where she was getting married, I would be there in a heart beat to grab that cake. This has been a tough lesson learned. I hope in the end this doesn't affect the friendship I have with her daughter but right now I really don't care. Situations like this show a person's true character!

Quote:
Quote:

Was the price discussed before you baked and decorated the cakes??

babareno Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #16 of 25

All has ended well. She did come by and pick up the cakes and said she didn't realize that there was so much time involved in making them. For sure, next time I am doing a lot of things differently! Thanks for all of your input!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #17 of 25

[quote= Cake Repo!!!![/quote] icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Glad it all worked out babareno!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 25

Love a happy ending!

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #19 of 25

I'm glad it worked out, but for future reference, when someone says "Price doesn't matter", you should IMMEDIATELY tell them, "Oh good! I've been wanting to do a thousand dollar cake for a LONG time!"

Price may not matter, but rest assured they have a number in mind and it's usually WAY lower than the actual price.

Hubby says he watches People's Court during his lunch hour all the time. He says that judge is constantly asking "Did you agree to a price ahead of time? Did you get it in writing? There's a word for people who don't do this ... they're called 'litigants'!" There's our lesson learned, people.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 25

Indy, Please ask Mr. Indy (since he's an unoffical expert with that kind of experience : ) Like does he think the judge would award some but not all in the case of the cake being served but not as designed.

Do judges award the money by degrees?
Do they place value on some aspect and award the difference.

Perfect example--Like if chick paid for the sheets and our op had to sue for the cost of the dummy. Because the cake serves two purposes. But does Mr. Indy think in his proffered opinion that if it was all cake could a judge split the award along those lines--it was ugly (as so often happens) but it was servable.

Customer service might say refund 100% but my question what do small claims court judges do.

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #21 of 25

He says:

Judge Marilyn (People's Court) will NOT award 100% of the money if they got value or benefit from it, then she says they have to pay for it. She asks, "Why do think you should get that for free?" He says she applies "rough justice" ... she just decides. A bride wants full refund because the cake was dry. But ".....you had a cake for the ceremony, you had a cake for the picture, you don't get that for free."

There are different circumstances, of course, but someone who tries to get it all for nothing? She ain't going for it.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #22 of 25

I LOVE Judge Milian. She is my faovrite judge. Nobody gets nothing for free in her court.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #23 of 25

i love her too!

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

He says:

Judge Marilyn (People's Court) will NOT award 100% of the money if they got value or benefit from it, then she says they have to pay for it. She asks, "Why do think you should get that for free?" He says she applies "rough justice" ... she just decides. A bride wants full refund because the cake was dry. But ".....you had a cake for the ceremony, you had a cake for the picture, you don't get that for free."

There are different circumstances, of course, but someone who tries to get it all for nothing? She ain't going for it.

That's what I thought--that's where I've been coming from in some of our threads about refunding people when there's just a booboo (not scrambled cake on the highway).

Add in a bridezilla and a twitchy caker who needs to get talked off the ledge type of scenario. Like the last one I remember barely got paid for ingredients & had nothing to refund.

Please thank Mr. IndyD for me. Great minds & all that. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #25 of 25

Did I miss an episode???? Did she get paid for the sheet cake? Did she get paid for dummy? I am too tired to read the wholte thing ......glad you are happy barbarino...love the name by the way....how is mr kotter hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%