Buttercream Icing Butterflies?!?!?

Decorating By crys22601 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 12:53am by JGMB

crys22601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crys22601 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 8

I have messed up and let time catch up to me. I am doing a baby shower cake this Sunday and I was going to make small colorflow/royal icing butterflies to go around the edges. However, not realizing that the 13th was already here...I have no time to allow for the colorflow or royal icing to harden in under 48 hours. How would I pipe nice little butterflies out? I can usually figure this out but I am drawing a blank on this for some reason. Help.
Crystal
icon_sad.gif

7 replies
BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 8

You could do a frozen buttercream transfer...or you could just pipe them directly on the cake. Do the outline the same as you had planned with the royal icing and thin your buttercream out some and use a round tip 5 to 10, depending on the size of your butterflies, and just fill in with icing. You can smooth it with a small tapered spatula.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #3 of 8

I just started course 2 dealing a lot with royal icing. The instructor kept telling us never let your royal icing come in contact with your buttercream. Did I misunderstand her or...can you make something with royal icing and then put it on your buttercream? Also, what is the minimum time you should let your royal icing harden before using?

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:48am
post #4 of 8

Get a couple butterfly drawings in a size you like. (usually can find these over the internet) Print them out on paper. Take a piece of waxed paper and place it over the butterfly drawings.

Melt some white chocolate (summer coating), color it if you like, pour some in a bag with a fitted "small dot tip" and pipe over the drawing of the butterfly on the wax paper. Put in refrigerator to harden for a couple of minutes. Take out and remove butterfly with a flat edged thin knife and place onto your cake.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 8

Get a couple butterfly drawings in a size you like. (usually can find these over the internet) Print them out on paper. Take a piece of waxed paper and place it over the butterfly drawings.

Melt some white chocolate (summer coating), color it if you like, pour some in a bag with a fitted "small dot tip" and pipe over the drawing of the butterfly on the wax paper. Put in refrigerator to harden for a couple of minutes. Take out and remove butterfly with a flat edged thin knife and place onto your cake.

crys22601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crys22601 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 8

Donnabugg,
In response to your post, royal and colorflow icings are fine to place on a cake ised with buttercream AFTER they have dried. What your instructor was refering to is that if any greese, including buttercream icing, comes in contact with royal or colorflow icing in the mising process, it will not set right and will break down. It usually takes about 1 week or so for it to dry depending on how thick the item is you are making. Have fun with your classes.
Crystal

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you Crystal. icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:53am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crys22601

Donnabugg,
In response to your post, royal and colorflow icings are fine to place on a cake ised with buttercream AFTER they have dried. What your instructor was refering to is that if any greese, including buttercream icing, comes in contact with royal or colorflow icing in the mising process, it will not set right and will break down. It usually takes about 1 week or so for it to dry depending on how thick the item is you are making.

So, when people say they do stringwork with royal icing, can that only be done on fondant and not on buttercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%