What's The Best Wa To Freeze A Cake.

Decorating By kakbiz Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 3:49am by Rylan

kakbiz Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 5

I have alot of birthdays coming up in Oct. my son, daghter, husband and father in law plus a friends daughetr .Plus a friend of my daughter since the are having their party together. I would like to bake all of the cakes now so as each one come up all i have to do is thaw, carve and frost. I have never frozen a cake so all hel is appreciated. I have a deep freezer so I can store them their or move stuff to my deep freezer so I can store them in my regular feezer if that is better. Thanks

4 replies
tatorchip Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 5

double wrap each one with plastic wrap then tin foil. If you have a freezer that is NOT frost free use that one. A frost free is okay but the other kind is better for cakes. HTH

tiptop57 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

Let me tell you how I do it..depending on how everything is going I use parchment paper when baking. After cooling I torte and level my cakes and then spray with simple syrup which I make with equal parts water and granulated sugar - bring to a boil and then cool, when cooled add to a spray bottle I bought for this only. I then separte each layer with parchment paper and put a piece on top. Then depending if I need the pan or not, usually not as I have tons, I cover with tin foil and freeze using a baking sheet between the two cake pans so as to not crush my cake.

Now if I need the cake pans I then wrap in plastic wrap and again in tin foil.

I always freeze!

Bake one night and freeze overnight, make the IMBC the next night and frost, then the third night I decorate.

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 5

I wrap in 1 or 2 layers of saran (the good stuff from Sam's, not that crap they stick housewives with in the grocery) and freeze. To thaw, I just throw 'em on the counter for 15-60 minutes. The saran holds the moisture great.

Had a sampling a few days ago and got to play my "fresh or frozen?" game with them? They asked if I froze cakes. I said, "You tell me. 2 of those cakes that you're eating have been in my freezer for 3 weeks. 1 of them was baked this morning. you tell me which is which. And I'll warn you ... most poeple guess wrong .... twice."

They guessed wrong ..... twice.

So based on that, I can only assume that my freezing/thawing method works. thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

Wrap in layers of plastic wrap and then put it on a freezer bag, bread bag or foil the bigger ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%