I Need Ideas For A 80's Themed Cake!

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:38am by laceycakes

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 15

A friend throwing her husband a 80's themed party for his 40th birthday, and she has asked me to do a cake for the party.

I have Googled 80's theme and it throws so much stuff at me I don't know where to start. There is Miami Vice, leg-warmers, Dallas and Dynasty style, neon, skinny ties etc etc - but how to make a cake out of it? I would prefer to do a cool 3-D sculpture cake instead of a traditional tiered cake.

If anybody has any bright ideas please send them my way. I the meantime I need to go and continue the arguement with my husband about who gets to go as Crocket and who goes as Tubbs.

14 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 15

Boombox with a double tape deck for dubbing. Correction A BIG boombox...hahaha

BakingGirl Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 15

Never got the email to say I had a reply, good thing I checked.

Thanks sadsmile, I must check with the birthday boy's wife to see if that is something he was into.

Any other ideas??

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 15

How about an old arcade game like Pac Man or Space Invaders? Or, better yet, a tv with an Atari and joystick controllers hooked up to it?

BakingGirl Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks CookieD-oh, that is a cool idea. Or maybe an old style computer, that could also work.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 15

How about one of those keyboard guitars?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 15
BakingGirl Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 15

Aaaah, look at that! Brings back the memories.... that green glowing typeface, guaranteed to make your eyes water in minutes.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 15

What about a Rubik's Cube along with some other "toys" like the Atari or Pac-Man.
Converse high tops, boom box, big shade sunglasses, neon airbrushed cut off t-shirts, the mullet...Look in any stores today, it is all coming back!

Have fun with this one!
Tracy

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 15

LOL actually shopping at Walmart one learns that none of these trends ever left. There are alwasy a few odd balls that have kept ALL that stuff alive. (((Shudder)))

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 15

How about Platform Shoes!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 15

I think a Converse high top in neony-pastels with a set of Walkman headphones sitting on top (like the Converse is listening to the Walkman) would work.

Mom0971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom0971 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #13 of 15

Maybe also something from the bands of the 80's depending on what music he liked. Say Kiss or Van Halen etc. Oh what about the collar on shirts be turned up too. I know that is vague but I do remember the fashion trend though. you could also do a movie themed 80"s with names and icon's from the different 80's movies. Breakfast club, Pretty in Pink, Goonies, ahhh taking me back to my pre teens and such. Good times.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #14 of 15

Maybe the original Mtv logo...

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #15 of 15

How about those handheld football games? I remember those being really popular with the guys when I was a teenager. Everything else I thought of has already been mentioned.

Oh... wait... cassette tapes and vinyl records were still around back then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%