Quilting On Fondant

Decorating By Tan781 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm by KristyM

Tan781 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a two tiered birthday cake for a friend. She would like the quilting on the bottom layer. How do I go about measuring for where to start so that the lines are even at the top and the bottom. I was thinking of doing a 6" top and an 8" base. (Do you think this is enough cake for 25 -30 people?) I have never done this before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
iluvjay829 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

Jennifer Dontz sells a copper quilting tool that is awesome. They also sell a plastic diamond impression mat, but I don't think it would work as well on fondant as on buttercream.

mmgiles Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

that's 34 servings so you should be fine. There are diamond mats, or you could use a ruler. I saw on Cakeboss he had this plastic tool that worked great. I'm going to look and see if i can find one.

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjay829

Jennifer Dontz sells a copper quilting tool that is awesome. They also sell a plastic diamond , but I don't think it would work as well on fondant as on buttercream.

This is probably my favorite tool. Perfect quilting everytime...nice and clean.

KristyM Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

I have seen Buddy on Cake Boss use a 45 degree drafting triangle that you can get at Michael's or Hobby Lobby in the drafting supplies. I have used this with the Wilton quilting tool and it works really well. I also read on CC to use a protractor to measure the distance between the lines and it will come out even every time. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%