Quilting On Fondant

Decorating By Tan781 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm by KristyM

Tan781 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tan781 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a two tiered birthday cake for a friend. She would like the quilting on the bottom layer. How do I go about measuring for where to start so that the lines are even at the top and the bottom. I was thinking of doing a 6" top and an 8" base. (Do you think this is enough cake for 25 -30 people?) I have never done this before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

Jennifer Dontz sells a copper quilting tool that is awesome. They also sell a plastic diamond impression mat, but I don't think it would work as well on fondant as on buttercream.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

that's 34 servings so you should be fine. There are diamond mats, or you could use a ruler. I saw on Cakeboss he had this plastic tool that worked great. I'm going to look and see if i can find one.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjay829

Jennifer Dontz sells a copper quilting tool that is awesome. They also sell a plastic diamond , but I don't think it would work as well on fondant as on buttercream.

This is probably my favorite tool. Perfect quilting everytime...nice and clean.

KristyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyM Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

I have seen Buddy on Cake Boss use a 45 degree drafting triangle that you can get at Michael's or Hobby Lobby in the drafting supplies. I have used this with the Wilton quilting tool and it works really well. I also read on CC to use a protractor to measure the distance between the lines and it will come out even every time. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%