Tips For Ribbon Like This?

Decorating By Lenette Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm by Lenette

Lenette Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 10

I thought I would check here before I go in to wing this later today.

Any suggestions for getting a nice look this this? I have two colors of fondant ribbon to incorporate on my cake.

Thank you!
LL

9 replies
sugaah Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 10

It appears this ribbon was sprayed or brushed with luster or pearl dust.

cylstrial Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 10

You will probably have to use something to stop your fondant from stretching as you put it on the cake. I use a thin mylar. It can support the weight of the fondant and still rollup. Put a lot of corn starch on the plastic so that the ribbon doesn't stick. And you will probably need a second set of hands. One person attaches the fondant ribbon to the cake while the other person holds the mylar and fondant ribbon.

Good luck!

cylstrial Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 10

You could probably use acetate as well.

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 10

I think it might be buttercream; rows of tip #104. You would need a very steady hand for sure, and then airbrush it with pearl sheen.... jmo

tiptop57 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 10

I have used fondant wrapped around a blunt ended rolling pin.

Directions: Roll out your fondant cut it into four or five strips and to length of your cake, over lap the strips unto each other and glue down against one another. Apply lots of powdered sugar on the top so it doesn't stick to itself and roll up the combined strip on the flat bottom rolling pin. Put the base of the rolling pin on the cake board and unwrap around the cake. Then using a nice "Puff" paint brush apply the pearl lust dust. HTH

Rylan Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 10

I've done a similar technique as the ribbon. Cut long strips of fondant/gumpaste mixture. Roll it into a tape and unroll it to the cake. You can then layer it.

nesweetcake Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

So glad you asked this question, I have one to do next weekend. Don't mean to sound dense, but cylstrial, do you put the mylar under the ribbon and then roll up and then place on the cake.

nesweetcake Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 10

So glad you asked this question, I have one to do next weekend. Don't mean to sound dense, but cylstrial, do you put the mylar under the ribbon and then roll up and then place on the cake.

Lenette Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks all! I got it done, my fondant is a bit thicker I think but the over all look is there.

Appreciate the input here! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%