People Can Be Vicious! (Kinda Long)

Business By HarleyDee Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm by bbmom

HarleyDee Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 11

Some of you may have read my "Having a come apart" post a couple of weeks ago. Stating that I was having to try and find a new kitchen to do my cakes. That was becoming a problem because I have a bridal fair this Sunday (day after tomorrow) and was going to have to find some place in time to have it health rated and all that. I have spent the last week talking to ANYONE with a rated kitchen to see if they would rent me time. Finally yesterday a small place said yes. Yesterday. I figured I would have to pull out of the bridal fair because there would be no way to get our one health inspector to get out there in time.

Then I got a phone call last night from the marketing exec that is heading up the bridal show. She was calling to ask if I was health rated, because apparently, "several of the vendors have called me, asking about you, asking if you were rated, and asking if I was going to let you do the show." Her words.

That motivated me. As soon as the health dept. opened this morning, I went up there to talk to the inspector. Begging him to go rate the place today. He laughed and said, "That's funny, I've already had someone in here today asking if you had a rating." I guess I've rattled some cages.

Luckily for me, he is rating the place today, and I should be good to go for Sunday. I talked to the marketing exec and she is thrilled. She was telling me how apparently me being the new girl in the cake biz has bothered some people. Hubby said to take that as a compliment icon_smile.gif The exec said, "If I were you, I'd bring my licenses and frame them and put them on my table so that I could tell all of them to go on and worry about something else!" It's been a tense couple of days icon_biggrin.gif

Have any of you ever had other decorators in your area try to get you? I mean, I can understand them asking about the new business, but the exec's words were, "They're trying to cause trouble." I just want to make some cakes people! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Auryn Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 11

Im with your hubby.
Take it as a compliment.
All these people calling around about you means that they have their panties in a knot worrying that you are better than them and their customers will see it. They know that if you are licensed they are going to lose customers to you.

I agree that you should frame all your licenses and ratings and bring them with you to the bridal fair- stick their nose in a bit if you will to shut them up.

Good luck on the rating and I hope you totally kick ass at the fair.

Win Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not in business so I've never had to experience what you just went through. I just wanted to say I admire your sticktoitiveness and agree with your husband that you should look at the situation as a compliment. Apparently you have the competition looking for any way to slow you down. You go girl! Happy baking, Happy caking! Andy may you have a most successful Bridal show!

thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

I've mostly stayed in my little mouse cage except when my kids were little I did more cakes and I've worked pro~~but yeah four cakers here were turned in. The whistle blowers got shunned by the caking community here.

Then the whistle blowers sold all their stuff & shut down. I think because they had turned in their own family but the shunning probably didn't help either.

That whole vigalante thing din work out for 'em.

JGMB Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 11

Good going so far, Harley Dee!! You're persistent and have been trying to do the right thing all along, so you'll be fine. Now, go rock that Bridal Show!!!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 11

Cake fairs are supposed to have a lot of traffic and hopefully a lot of great buzz. I'd safeguard my licenses if it was me. I'd just post a small sign if need be, licensed and insured.

HarleyDee Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Cake fairs are supposed to have a lot of traffic and hopefully a lot of great buzz. I'd safeguard my licenses if it was me. I'd just post a small sign if need be, licensed and insured.

I'll take copies maybe. Definitely don't want one of those mean people taking off with my stuff, lol!

varika Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I'll take copies maybe. Definitely don't want one of those mean people taking off with my stuff, lol!

It's sad that someone would try to do that, and not too bright, either, because all you'd have to do would be request new copies because yours were stolen; it's not like it would shut you down or even get you fined, I'd think! Possibly a charge for getting replacement copies.

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 11

Somebody stole some photographer's sample books from a fair that I did once. Weird, why would they steal something that had someone else's pictures? icon_confused.gif

Some bride also stole a gift certificate from our booth once, but since we keep the names of the people who won them they wouldn't have been able to use it anyway.

Some people just have sticky fingers.

If I was you, I would make copies of my licensing, etc., go introduce myself to EVERY other cake vendor there, and give them a copy of my license (with the ID numbers blacked out! icon_twisted.gif ) I'd also mention that I had heard there was some concern that my kitchen wasn't licensed, but that so-and-so (drop names) from the health department had given me a good rating, so I just wanted to ease their concerns. icon_razz.gif

myslady Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 11

If I was you I wouldn't take my licensing, etc to the show unless was required. If the other vendors are that concerned if you are licensed or not, they can call the HD themselves.

bbmom Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 11

Good for you for getting right in there and getting your place rated!!! Have a good fair, I hope you outsell whoever the troublemaker is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%