Fondant

Decorating By bakermaker Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm by mbt4955

bakermaker Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,

You all helped me with a dilemma earlier, and I bet you can help me with this one.
None of my folks like fondant. Is there a better receipe, and can I somehow "flavor" it? They say the cake is great, but not the outside.
What shall I do?

Thanks,
Bakermaker icon_confused.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gifouch.gif

8 replies
brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 9

which fondant do you use? there are many different brands and recipes to try, and you can flavour with flavouring oils/ extracts, or try chocolate fondants.
xx

MrCake01 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 9

bakermaker
Some people don't and won't like fondant. I have been told by taste testers that it is an acquired taste, and others say that donât like it because of the texture and other say becasue of the sweetness. I have yet to make my own and I use Wiltonâs per made fondant mainly becasue of the consistency and have been told that it doesnât taste good. I have also been told that there are a lot of good recipes out there, i've look here on CC and have found alot but havn't tried them yet.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 9

I use to use the Wilton Fondant but now I make my own MMF (marshmallow fondant) which I found the recipe on this site. It's easier, you can flavor it with any clear flavoring and it tastes wonderful. I have family who have recently gotten to taste this at a birthday party for a friend of mine that I was asked to do the cake...they hated fondant before and LOVE the MMF. Worth it for you to give it a try!

msulli10 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 9

Although MMF tastes the best, I have trouble working with it. Satin Ice tastes good but sometimes it's too soft so I use a mixture of Satin Ice and Wilton and folks seem to like the taste. I tell them if they don't like it, just peel it off.

Kim2925 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 9

I also like Satin Ice fondant, however, I really love the flavor of Fondarific. You can get flavors such as strawberry, tutti fruiti, melon, etc thumbs_up.gif . Really fantastic flavors that dont have that gummy pasty taste. www.fondarific.com

nydivagirl Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Kim2925, I am a newbie also and I love to work with fondant. I never heard of fondarific before so I clicked on your link and ordered the sample packet. They were very friendly on the phone, hopefully the fondant will taste great!

Tiffany29 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 9

I had never tried fondant because I heard that it wasn't good. Yesterday I watched a video on youtube on how to make mmf in a KA and then tried it. I have to say it was very easy and it tasted really good. My kids are hooked! They love it and have not stopped talking about it or asking me for it!

mbt4955 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 9

I think that MMF is probably the easiest fondant to make if you are just starting out. You can add different flavorings, melted white chocolate, pudding or KoolAid powder - all sorts of things that will add flavor to your fondant. My office gets all of my practice cakes and they've come to realize that ... not only does fondant NOT taste bad, they actually like it!

Besides that, I don't think you can find fondant any less expensive than MMF. icon_biggrin.gif I normally make Michele Foster's Fondant (MFF), but it is a little more expensive and takes longer to make. I would start out with MMF and take it from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%