How Do You Make A Name Like This?

Decorating By peony421 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:32am by cylstrial

peony421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peony421 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 12

I really like how this name is written on the cake. It look like it is seperate and put on. I was thinking I would just make it with fondant then attach to cake. But it also look like it could have been piped on or pressed. Any input would be very helpful! Thanks so much! Jamie

edited to add: I'm also wondering how you use the pearl dust? Like the balls that rim the cake and name have a shimmer. Where do you get pearl dust and how do you apply it?

Thanks again!
LL

11 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 12

Your first guess is mine too. Make them out of fondant first in the shape/style you want and then put on cake.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 12

peony421,
From what i can tell it looks like fondant that was rolled out and maybe they used some pearl dust for shine. I donât think it was piped out. The icing would have to be very stiff and it wouldnât look that shiny. They probably shaped and glued together to dry on a flat surface before attaching to the fondant cake.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 12

I agree with ccr03, I just made my niece's name out of fondant last night and brushed it with pearl dust and vodka and it came out the same, except the one in the picture is better. I need to practice more, I guess I'll have to go make another one today.
If I make it today (Friday) will it harden by Sunday? Or is it better to make it that day (Sunday)?

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 12

im guessing its acutally a mixture of 50/50 fondandt gumpast i actually did a very similar one (in my pics) my co-worker showed me this exact pic, but instead i made a RI tiara. i used 50/50 for the number 2 in my cake. hope this helps!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 12

I did this for one of my birthday cakes...rolled out MMF snakes, shaped the letters, let them dry over night for sturdiness and then used a bit of water on a brush to attach them to the cake.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 12

You can roll the fondant and/or gumpaste in a snake and do this. Or you can get a clay gun and extrude it and then shape it. If you can't shape it freehand, you can print the name in the font you want with your word processor. Then take your 'snake' and form it to the letters. Allow it to dry a bit then glue to the cake with edible glue or water.

Oh, and it does look like they used pearl dust/luster dust on it. Do that before you glue to the cake.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 12

You can make it out of 50/50 fondant and gumpaste, roll out the fondant and shape it into the letters, then leave it to dry!

A.C. Moore and Michael's have pearl dust here so maybe where you live they have it as well!

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 12

I do lettering like this (see my pillow cakes and my bunny picnic in my photos). The way I do it is I find a font I like (I find free curly fonts online) and print out the message in the size I want. Then I extrude the fondant one letter at a time, shaping the letter over the printout I made. I let it dry just a little (enough so it kinda keeps it shape but isn't stiff) and then apply to cake.

I find it a nice way to do lettering, since my piped writing isn't very nice. Be warned, though, that it can be kind of time consuming!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiev777

I do lettering like this (see my pillow cakes and my bunny picnic in my photos). The way I do it is I find a font I like (I find free curly fonts online) and print out the message in the size I want. Then I extrude the fondant one letter at a time, shaping the letter over the printout I made. I let it dry just a little (enough so it kinda keeps it shape but isn't stiff) and then apply to cake.

Exactly this! I would not roll the snakes freehand, because I think it will be hard to make sure that all the letters are exatly the same size and thickness. I would opt to extrude snakes from a fondant extruder and then shape them that way.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #11 of 12

If you do not have the clay extruder then freehand is the option.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiev777

I find it a nice way to do lettering, since my piped writing isn't very nice. Be warned, though, that it can be kind of time consuming!

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing your technique with us! icon_biggrin.gif I have tried to do it and just failed miserably!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%