How To Incorporate This Sequin Into Cake?

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 1:07am by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 21

Bride wants the sequins somehow incorporated into the design on an 8" cake......any ideas?? TIA (the 8" is the topper and that is the only part she wants this design incorporated into)

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?page=5&style=A3240

20 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 21

You could repeat the design of the dress a few times around the side of the cake tier, including the ruching of the buttercream or fondant and V out to the top rim of the cake. You could even carve out the V to exsentuate the design. Hope that made since.

tastyart Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 21

And that is a STUNNING dress!

Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 21

That does make sense.....use dragees? Use royal and paint it silver? The cake is buttercream.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 21

what is the rest of the cake like? i think if you could turn the 'v' on its side, then repeat the pattern round the cake, end to end, it would be nice.
id maybe try to find an edible glitter, if that would work... or else in royal with silver lustre dust.
or do it stands up the sides like a proper v. (i think it could look pretty flowing over the lower tiers too, if the bride could be persuaded!)
xx

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 21

I don't have any ideas, but I have to say, that is a gorgeous dress!

tastyart Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 21

My piping skills are not all that great so I would probably use the different sized dragees. I'm sure a good piper could make a more intricate design by piping the RI. Either way it will be darn tedious, but lovely.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 21

I like the idea of the upturned V. I would make sequins from gelatine. One heaped teaspoon of powder gelatine to 50ml water. Add the same blue colouring let it dry and puch out tiny circles with a clean paper punch. Maybe even put a tiny silver dragee on each sequin.

tastyart Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 21

I've never heard of the geletine thing. Sounds cool! I have to come up with a reason to try it! Do you pour it out on a waxed paper to dry?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 21

Sure, you could do a gelatin sheet, then I would do the silver disco dust on the gelatin and use a paper punch to stamp out the sequins. Glue them onto the cake with piping gel. It'll be fabulous! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 21

You guys are GREAT!!! I love the gelatin/dragee idea too - and I already have that skill set! icon_smile.gif I will play this weekend and see what I like the best, thank you all for your ideas - I really appreciate the input!!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 21

Loucinda, I too love the gelatine idea. It might give more depth.

Is it possible for you to get a more detailed picture of the work the bride wants you to recreate?

I ask because the detail doesn't look like sequins. It's more like silver thread/rope/braid with beading.

If I'm stepping over the line, I apologize. My first career started as a fashion design major and I've never seen sequins on a wedding dress of that caliber.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 21

I don't like the "V" idead it sounds tacky to match the dress's neck line like that. Something more Asymmetrical or a striaght band similar to the beading around the top teir would look just as high class as a dress of that calibur.

You have got to zoom in on that detail! It's amazing! White and silver pearls, beads of two shades and shapes and sequins. WOW! I love the idea of the silver disco dust on in gelatin for the sequins that is going to be stellar! Silver, pearl and sparkle.

It would be amazing if you could do the rouching on one side of the asymmetrical design down the whole cake OMG Immagin it! But BC I don't think so. You can make indentations into buttercream and draw then out to mimic the rouching-maybe it would have to be practiced. but you have great skills I bet you could do it. thumbs_up.gif

OK so my chicken scratch sketch is exatly that chicken scratch... but you can see where my brain is going with it. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif
LL

Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 21

OK - I do have a sample of the work, the pic is not real clear - but I took a mess of them and this is the best of the lot. (and I am not sure if it is upside down or right side up either - this was a piece the bride sent me) I no longer have it - she wanted me to send it back. I do wish I could have kept it for reference. Anyways - here it is. There are tiny round sparkling things - not sequins, but the gelatine would work - what do you all think??

Sadsmile, I LOVE your idea, and the sketch really gives me the direction for it - thank you so much!
LL

Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 21

Howcool - you are right, they are not sequins. Although, there are some tiny round things that have ridges in them (see the top right of the sample) those would work really well as the gelatin - I think.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 21

Swarovski crystals are one of the hot trends in wedding dresses right now. They look like round flat backed crystals.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #17 of 21

Loucinda, thanks for the pic it helps!

I don't know how the gelatin would work, but you probably have bead forms in your stock of supplies. Using those you could recreate the illusion of actual beading sewn in. If you need to separate, cutting them apart wouldn't be difficult. The beads on that dress are actually clear, so you will need to lightly dust. The color is coming from the threads actually used to sew the suckers in.

You will need to color the gelatin the palest of blues. Gelatin has a tendency to be yellow, so experimentation is in order.

I don't know the formula that's being used for the gelatin. So I'm no help there.

The only other idea I have is poured sugar. This will be a pain, it can cause sever burns and can melt if the humidity is off. Isomalt would be the best, but it's nasty expensive and a new learning curve. A curve, I've yet to attempt.

I also agree with Sadsmile, not a fan of recreating the V neck line. I love her sketch.

I also don't care for the rouching idea. If the bride is only asking to recreate the bead work, then don't add. Rouching is hard enough to look good on female curves, let alone a cake that will have 2 inch areas between each layer.

Once again if I have overstepped, I do apologize.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 21

You can use lace molds and then you can pipe or paint directly on them . You can add some dragees or pearls.
Some dresses do have sequins, It depends on the designer. If it hase them you can do gelatin circles cutouts with a dragee or a pearl on top of it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm
post #19 of 21

Here is a zoom picture of that dress.. It does have some sequins,but mostly pearls, and canutillos(sorry dont know the name in english), wish are the small beads in silver.
Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:09pm
post #20 of 21

No offense, the sequins on that dress are miniscule.

Loucinda Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #21 of 21

Thank you all once again. I will definately use most of the ideas - you all have gotten the creative juices flowing here now!

The beading does have silver and gold in it, I cannot remember if it was just the stitching or the beads - lots of different sized pearls. Some of the beads were tiny cylinder shapes, not round.....what about putting some gumpaste through the extruder, then cutting them into the tiny cylinder shapes (these obviously won't have the "hole" in them though) and painting them with silver/gold - that would match those pretty well I think.

The tinting the gelatin a tiny light shade of blue in ingenious. You are right, it is on the yellow side when you make it.

This is just the most intricate design I have done to date, and I want it to be really nice. I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%