Need Ideas For A 13 Yo Girl's B'day

Decorating By CakesByJen2 Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm by Kiddiekakes

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 10

My best friend's daughter, who is also one of my daughter's best friends, will be turning 13 in two weeks and wants a special cake, but she has no idea what she wants.

My time is limited, so I need to guide her choices to something manageable, and preferably something I really want to do. The girl is coming over today after school to look at my pics and decide on something. The bad thing is, I have done very few cakes in the last few years, so the few teenager-y cakes I've done do not reflect the current trends. (Most of my cakes are wedding cake or younger kids b'days).

So, and suggestions and/or pictures of what is currently popular with the tween/teen set would be greatly appreciated!! I know bright, bold graphics is one popular trend, but I have no pics like that. Thanks so much!!

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 10

Purse cakes, shoe cakes, or a purse/shoe cake is really popular right now. So are zebra prints and little thing sticking out.

Let me find some pictures. I'll be back!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 10

id be thinking pink, retro circles, feathers. or something involving he fave pop star - just a music theme.
cookies and cream filling, probably choc cake. topsy turvey too.
xx

cylstrial Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 10

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258666

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1263709

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1193666

I didn't include any topsy turvy's because I thought that you might not want to do those since you haven't done a lot of cakes in the last couple of years. But there are tons of great TT's out there if that's something that you want to do!

Hope this helps!

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 10

i am working on a cake right now that would be perfect, a birthday present cake, you know, bow, ribbon, some stars coming out of the top, in her fave colours ? an edible gift tag . . . icon_smile.gif

CakesByJen2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much for the suggestions!!

Cylstrial, the pics you found were great! What search terms did you use to find those?? I had searched the galleries under "animal prints" "graphics" "tie-dye" and "13th birthday" and a found a few. And, you guessed right, I'm not interested in doing a topsy-turvy right now, LOL! Not that I *couldn't*, I just don't feel like dealing with it... icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

Thanks so much for the suggestions!!

Cylstrial, the pics you found were great! What search terms did you use to find those?? I had searched the galleries under "animal prints" "graphics" "tie-dye" and "13th birthday" and a found a few. And, you guessed right, I'm not interested in doing a topsy-turvy right now, LOL! Not that I *couldn't*, I just don't feel like dealing with it... icon_wink.gif

Those were pictures that I had actually saved in my favorite photo's. So I didn't actually search for anything. Sorry!

You might try searching for sweet 16 though. See if that brings anything up. And in case you don't know, they have switched the good search engine around. You have to go up to the gallery tab. And then once you're in the gallery - there are three little white words (kind of right under the tabs that say gallery, forum, etc). Anyway, use that search engine and it brings up lots of pictures.

icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByJen2 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 10

Yay! She ended up picking the design I was hoping she would! Her mom told me she had seen a topsy-turvy one online (I was going to be sure she didn't see any of those, LOL) and liked it, but, fortunately she changed her mind when she saw the pics I had saved.

She ended up picking a 2-tiered cake with zebra print, and a hot-pink bow and the #13 on top. I think it's cute, and even better, it should be pretty quick and easy to do!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 10

I was just gonna suggest a hot pink zebra striped cake..I had seen one that Buddy(Cakeboss) did for his 13 year old niece..I thought it was really cute!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%