Consistency

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 1:04pm by alene

kaddikakes Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:48am
post #1 of 7

Just wondering if I'll ever figure out the right consistency on my icing. Last night I took out the Wilton recipie for "stiff" icing . . . yeah stiff is right. I just wanted to throw everything against the wall. I was so aggravated . . . I was trying to practice making roses. My base wouldn't even stay on the nail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!! Thanks for listening. icon_cry.gif

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:53am
post #2 of 7

its very simple to adjust your buttercream. too stiff? add more liquid. too soft? add more ps.
i dont do bc roses, but some people prefer using something else for the base - fondant/ gumpaste, styrofoam, a hersheys kiss, so taking a little shortcut might let you get on with practicing the roses, then you can worry abot the bases later.
xx

alene Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 7

I hate making bc roses I guess because I hate the way mine look but if you put the little base cones in the freezer for a little while, it helps to keep them on the flower nail. Hope that helps.

indydebi Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alene

I hate making bc roses I guess because I hate the way mine look but if you put the little base cones in the freezer for a little while, it helps to keep them on the flower nail. Hope that helps.

I don't own that many flower nails! icon_lol.gif

In this thread, http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-650745.html , are some photos of me making my icing. I included 2 "bonus" pics of how I check for consistency ... The Finger Push Test.

alene Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry, guess I didn't make myself clear. I just freeze the little cones and when you stick them on the nail, they will stay better.

indydebi Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, now I get it! icon_redface.gif

alene Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 7

I've never had a problem using indydebi's bc recipe. Like she says, there's no wrong way to mix it...I like that part! Thanks for the thread debi. Didn't know about the (finger push test) only trouble with that, if I get it on my finger...it wants to go in my mouth!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%