I Need Everyone's Opinions -Have No Idea How To Attack This

Decorating By KacieMeredith Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm by KacieMeredith

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 10

So my best friend and I make cakes as hobbies...so we were asked to do a baby shower cake for a friends sister...long story short...she sent pics of what cakes she likes and we know she definitely wants 3 tiers and her colors are pink, black and white. Now this is where my creative juices get confused...the pictures are of wedding cakes and I just feel like I should try to turn these into cute baby shower cakes but donât know where to start. Of course Iâm going to talk to the mother to be, but I would just like to present her with some cute ideas for a more baby shower looking cake, but in the end what she wants is what she will get. Any ideas? Anyone?
LL
LL

9 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:24am
post #2 of 10

What about trying to change it in more babyish cake through details? I did almost exactly copy the design of the first cake, give details of the second one (the pink ribbon and I would give it black edges).
But you are right, what ever she wants should be what she gets.

For my idea, see the attached drawing.
LL

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:42am
post #3 of 10

Have a look in the galleries under "baby shower" and you'll see thousands of cakes you can draw ideas from.
Having so many tiers, I guess there are going to be LOTS of people at the shower!
All the best
icon_smile.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:59am
post #4 of 10

I actually quite like the second one as it is - maybe just doing a mini version and at the base of some of the sticks you could place some mini pink gumpaste baby things - like booties or a bottle, bib, rattle etc. Just little ones nestled there, sitting on the tier.

KacieMeredith Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 10

majka_ze - Thank you so much for that drawing that is adorable.

Emcm - I have spent hours looking at the baby shower gallery, there are just so many I feel lost at times. I know, 3 tiers and 50 people, so Im trying to make it the smallest I can, 6x8x10.

Melnick, I love that idea. Im def going to go to the mother to be with that thought as well as majka_ze.

Thank you all!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 10

10x8x6 serves twice as many as you need.

I mean if you're doing off set squares you could do 7x6x5 and get your servings. It won't be the same exact profile as either photo.

You can offset them evenly too and just have one entire side (the back) flush.

An 8x5x2 or 8x5x3 also works for 50 servings. 8x6x4 even but I mean a 10" serves 50 you're giving away the other two tiers.

They just need to understand the dimensions involved here.

Sizing thoughts for you.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 10

KacieMeredith,
Also you could use fondant and a lace cut out rollor to put a nice softness to the border. You could also make a big gumpaste pacifier for a cake topper. The detail shouldn't be to hard.
Goodluck,'mrcake01

KacieMeredith Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 10

K8memphis - Oh lord...I had calculated it at 62 servings...but that was from the wilton party cake chart...but I see how the wedding serving sizes are so much more...I am obviously still new to caking because I had no idea the variation in the serving size caused that much of a difference in the total serving amount. But I do like your ideas with smaller cakes, so Ill keep that in mind when I make the cake...thank you so much...

MrCake 01 - Thanks I like the idea!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 10

I would decribe these kinda cakes as petite--to give the party planners the right mental pictures.

Just a thought for you.

KacieMeredith Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 10

Oh...thats good...petite...I like it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%