Feel Like A Total Failure

Decorating By buggus Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 12:21am by buggus

buggus Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 16

Okay, so I'm feeling like a failure as I feel like I bit off more than I can chew.

An old friend of mine is getting married tomorrow. I agreed to do her cake for her. It's the biggest cake I've ever made, and 2 cakes layers have major damage. 1 completely cracked, and the other, one side just fell off when I tried to flip it. I'm so disappointed in myself. I got overzealous and thought this wouldn't be a big deal, but it is. I'm an experienced baker, but not with cakes of this size, and now I feel like an idiot for doing it.

It's over 10:00 p.m. where I am now and am baking the last layer for the last tier. I'm hoping and praying it comes out alright, as I don't know what I'm going to do.

How do you fix a cracked cake??

15 replies
JenniferMI Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 16

I sincerely wish I could come and help you. Yes, making wedding cakes is a big deal, that's why we have to charge what we do....but, small cracks can be filled in with icing. I wish you only the VERY very best. Sending cake angels your way ((((hugs))))

buggus Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 16

but what if one side, like a 1/4 of the cake has come right off?? Use icing to fix it? Or should I just bake another. The problem is, trying to flip over a 14 inch cake. I've never done it before, and clearly am not capable icon_cry.gif

dessert1st Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 16

I feel so bad for you. I've been there - where you feel like you are doing something nice for someone & it all starts falling apart (this time, literally!). I had one crack before & just lined it up where it belonged and frosted it. You couldn't tell from the outside , and I figured once it was cut into pieces, you probably wouldn't be able to tell from the inside either! Never heard a word from anyone about it being cracked!

I have read on here that you can soften some frosting in the microwave and mix it with any cake crumbs and use it as glue or spackling. This may give you more peace of mind if you're worried about the crack seperating after being frosted. Mine was a pretty heavy & level cake sitting on a strong base, so I was comfortable that it wouldn't budge after I decorated it.

Best of luck to you! It won't seem so bad after a few hours sleep, honest!

Skirt Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #5 of 16

I did my SIL's wedding cake and trust me, icing fills in cracks beautifully! I actually had a bag of BC in my purse for any last minute repairs...

And remember, we are our own worst critics! Your friend will love the cake icon_smile.gif

buggus Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 16

I've heard of this spackling thing. I just posted about it the other day, just never tried it. I think in this case I'm going to have to.

Melvira Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 16

Ok, just use BC icing to glue that sucker back together! NO worries... it will be fine, unless you do something crazy with it! As for flipping large layers... cake boards are you friend. Slide one under the layer and lay one on top, the grab the sides and flip it over.

I'm sending you some of those cake fairies too! You can DO IT!!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

KacieMeredith Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 16

Oh lord do I sympathize. I just did my best friends wedding cake (200 people) and nothing went right. I was in the wedding so I was planning on having the cake fully done the night before. But on thursday my bottom tier just broke apart beyond repair so Friday morning I had to rebake 3 16 in layers. After getting my hair and makeup done in the am I had to rush home to finsih before meeting back at the location. I wanted to die. They loved the cake and I got nothing but compliments, but inside I was so dissappointed becuase I was expecting so much more of myself. So I know that feeling of drowning in cake. Just remember to breathe and Im sure it will turn out wonderful. My thoughts are with you.

backermeister Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #9 of 16

If you can try to fit your broken piece back together with the rest of the cake like a puzzle piece. If your cake is filled the filling and a little icing at the breaking point may keep it together. If it stays than once you finish icing it no one will ever know. Hope your day/night gets better. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #10 of 16

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I would rebake it. If you are having problems flipping it, try putting on a cardboard and easing it onto thelower cake. Sometimes freezing it for even a 1/2 hr. will firm it up enough. I would rebake and stick right in the freezer to cool fast.

Take the cake from the oven, put a pc. of wax paper over top, then pc of aluminum foil and then a board of some sort. Flip over on the board. Then, once cooled flip again on a board by just putting the cardboard on top the cake and flipping the two boards. Now ease it onto the lower cake.

Hope this helps you.... keeping my fingers crossed. Once you have a huge crack...it's so hard to fix. Make sure the cake is DONE...under baking can cause issues. jen PS - You also can sprinkle pdr. sugar or SOMETHING on the cake top before flipping on your board, that might help when you ease it onto the cake. Grasping at straws here to help. I do my process differently with wax paper, no cake touches the pan. So I'm trying to give you the best advice with what you are doing.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #11 of 16

Just think of the icing as Elmer's glue--it will totally hold. You can do this!! You are the master!! It's only cake!!!

Cold or frozen cake handles a little easier.

I use a one sided cookie sheet to slide layers on & off (like for torting/assembling).

When you get through this ordeal, come back & we'll all talk timeline for future orders.

Calling on more cake angels to hover near!!! It's gonna be ok.

madgeowens Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #12 of 16

I also use a cookie sheet, and slide it under the cake to move it, if needed, and as Melvira says place cake board on top to flip it....good luck.....you have no choice but to keep at until you get it right....you will be fine, take a deep breath, and be determined!!!

Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #13 of 16

I have repaired a big chunk of cake like that - just do as the PP have said, mix up some spackling and piece it back together. It will work. I did not chill mine either. The IMPORTANT thing is to MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD SUPPORT SYSTEM for that cake.

I am also sending cake {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}your way - you can do it!

indydebi Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #14 of 16

As suggested above, use cardboard to flip the cakes. I remember back in my early days, when I didn't know about cardboards and freezing the layer (partially frozen cakes are easier to handle, too) and I actually "flipped" a 14" or a 16" onto a bottom layer. How I did it, I'll never know.

2-3 weeks ago, I made a 2-layer, 22x28 cake (two 14x22's pushed together, with 2 more on top). This pan takes the equivalent of 4 cake mixes, so when about 1/4 of one of these cakes broke right off, I about cried and I did NOT want to bake another one.

I did as has already been mentioned .... I just used icing to glue the piece back into place. I use the broken cake as the bottom layer. This was one HECK of a heavy cake ... I couldn't pick it up by myself .... and it held up fine.

Molly2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:44am
post #15 of 16

Cake angels and a prayer to you along with ((((HUGS))))

buggus Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:21am
post #16 of 16

I want to thank all of you for giving me that motivation to keep going. The cake is done and delivered. I'm not happy with how it turned out, as I expected alot more for myself, and clearly I do not have my timing down on how to prepare for a cake. I do not know the proper time frame to get a cake done, and then leave it all to the last minute. Anyway, that's another topic!!

I just want to thank all of you who believed in me, it means the world.

Quote by @%username% on %date%