My Fondant And Gumpaste Always Have Cracks!!!

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 9:03am by FlourPots

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #1 of 5

Everytime I use fondant or gumpaste, there are cracks in it if I roll it in a ball.
I have heard that you need to knead it until it becomes more pliable or adding shortening but I have tried these things and still cracks. How long do you knead it to get the cracks to not form? Is there something I am missing?

4 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 5

It's more than likely the brands/recipes you are using. Not all fondant and gumpaste are alike. I only use white choc. fondant (no cracks EVER) and I have a couple of really good gumpaste recipes that I am happy to share. I teach classes and am traveling to California now, but am happy to link those gumpaste recipes for you when I return. PM me if interested.

Jennifer

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:05am
post #3 of 5

The two reasons sugarpaste [rolled fondant, gumpaste, petal/flower paste, pastillage etc] cracks:

1. insufficient kneading
2. the mixture is too dry - unbalanced recipe or formula

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:23am
post #4 of 5

When I make black or red my marshmallow fondant won't hold together. Does too much coloring change it?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:03am
post #5 of 5

grossoutqueen...the best remedy I've found is microwaving (10 seconds for small pieces, about 20 for larger ones)...it works miracles. The entire consistency will change...it'll become soft & pliable...perfect, not a single crack.

I did this like crazy, while working with MMF mixed with tylose.

This is also the only way I mix in color now, it's soooo easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%