Cake Bites. . .?

Decorating By wynniejax Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm by wynniejax

wynniejax Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

Let's say you took a sheet cake and cut it into 1" cubes. On half of them you put a squirt of filling, then the other half top them off. I'm guessing you would throw them in the freezer for a little while maybe to set. Then insert candy sticks in each one and dip in chocolate.

I ask cause I like the basic idea of the cakes balls, but I don't like the part where you mix frosting and crumbled cake.

Would they fall apart? Maybe the cake would dry out in the freezer? Would pound cake be better? What other coating could you dip them in besides chocolate?

5 replies
bbmom Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:32am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like you're making petit fours to me.

wynniejax Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 6

LOL!! I'm so sorry! You probably think I'm crazy, but I'm just new to all this. I had know idea there was a name for it. I figured someone had to know what I was talking about and had made it before. Thanks!

bbmom Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:20am
post #4 of 6

Thats ok...I'm always reinventing the wheel! I figured there's probably tons of into tips, recipes out there for petit fours so thats why I didnt include any suggestions of cake and what to dip in. Also, I dont like the mess of cake balls but if you go to Bakerella dot com she has beautiful, creative, fun pictures of different styles she has done.

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:12am
post #5 of 6

They haven't fallen apart for Bakerella yet, otherwise she would have warned us.

Go for it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

wynniejax Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks again! I'm just glad there's a name for it that I can actually google. And yes, upon googling, I came across the Bakerella blog. It's a fabulous site! I can't wait to make some. The plan was to make some for Halloween. We'll eat less (maybe) if they're bite size desserts and the kids will love them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%