Why Does My Cake Look Like This???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 8:58pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Mikel79 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 8

Hi All!

Lately a few of my cakes have came out of the pan with a "slant" to them. Why is this happening. The cake is completly done inside and out. The other cake is fine.

Shouldn't the cake batter distribute evenly when poured and let setteled??

Any suggestions???
LL

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 8

your oven's heat is probably uneven.......this happens in my oven too....the right side of my oven cooks the cakes higher than the other and my oven cooks about 55 degrees hot too........and I have a cake business.....is this insanity or what???

Anyhow.........just rotate your pan halfway after about 10-12 minutes of baking......just as the cake is starting to come up to the rim of the pan but hasn't set up yet, the opposite side will rise to the occasion!

Mme_K Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:21am
post #3 of 8

I had the same problem a while back. I realised my stove/oven was not level! Had it leveled and haven't had a problem since.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

Jen80 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 8

I wish my cakes looked that good when they are naked. icon_lol.gif

Have you checked the levelling of your oven? Or on that particular shelf?
My oven isn't level so I always have to cut the top off my cakes to level them.

Could be the heat distribution in your oven too. Or you may be putting them too close to the sides or door.

online_annie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 8

I agree, your oven may need leveling. Place a small level on your baking rack and adjust the legs underneath accordingly. I just purchased a new oven last month and the installer thought I was nuts making sure everything was deadon level. It makes a difference!

Best of luck!

Mikel79 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:45am
post #6 of 8

Thanks folks!

Question for Khalsted....

Opening the over door and moving the cakes...I thought that opening the door and closing the door disrupts the temperture, causing your cakes to shrink??

What do you think??

KHalstead Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 8

i dunno......I never had problems with them shrinking....if you leave it open too long they can definitely sink...but I've even completely removed cakes from the oven to shuffle them all around to distribute the heat.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 8

Worst case ... it's the beginning of a topsy turvy cake! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%