Cracked 12 X 18 Cake

Decorating By Lisa07 Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 3:54am by serena17

Lisa07 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 4

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I made a 12 x 18 cake in a wilton cake pan awhile ago and I let it cool for the recommended time and when I flipped it over onto the cake board, the cake cracked. I was able to salvage the cake by having my husband hold the cake together while I iced it and it turned out fine but I am making another cake that size and I was wondering should I just let it cool longer or is there something else I could do to prevent it from cracking?

3 replies
kelleym Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #2 of 4

Sounds like possibly you did not level off the hump before turning it out of the pan?

mommyle Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 4

Did you use the bake even strips? Then you wouldn't get a hump at all, it will come out flat, and you won't get a crack. Should you choose to not do so, at least get the HUGE cooling racks (two of them) turn the cake out onto the rack, and then flip it over again. After it has cooled, slip it off the cooling rack with the largest Wilton cookie sheet (it's about 14 x 20), and then slip it on to your cake board. Or just flip it on to the first cooling rack and then flip again on to the cake board.

Good luck.

serena17 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 4

I had the same thing happen. My problem was that I didn't put the cake board on to of the cake before flipping in out. I think the cake is too heavy to just turn over and flip out without any support. I made a second one by putting the board on top, holding it in placde and than flipping it over. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%